Server not found problem

aedoni 21:11 27 Apr 2006

Just recently I've had a problem with my internet connection. When surfing I suddenly get the 'Sever Not Found' message and am unable to connect to any new sites for approx ten minutes. I can go 'back' and view what I have just seen but any attempt to go to a new site just brings up the error message. Then the connection suddenly starts working again.

The broadband connection is fine. I've checked the security and connection settings. I don't have a firewall. I'm using Windows 2000 with AVG and Norton.

I really don't know how to fix this - can anybody out there please help?

remind 21:15 27 Apr 2006

What ISP? ADSL broadband? Using USB or ethernet connection? If you have antivirus software and don't use a firewall, what Norton application are you using? If you're not using a firewall, do you have a router?

remind 21:20 27 Apr 2006

Alternatively; Norton software firewall, no hardware firewall?

aedoni 21:26 27 Apr 2006

I'm using Tiscali Broadband via a modem connected to a USB port. Am using Norton Systemworks 2005 and don't have a router. Everything's been working fine up until the past month or so...

remind 21:33 27 Apr 2006

Rather odd. You really ought to get yourself a firewall if Systemworks doesn't include one. ZoneAlarm or Kerio recommended. If you install Kerio and select Simple mode, it will only monitor incoming traffic - select Advanced and put up with the popups for a day or two for incoming and outgoing monitoring.
click here

The next time the connection drops, go to start menu /Run, type cmd, at the dos prompt type

ping click here

If you lose all packets your net connection has gone and it could be a problem with your ISP or phone line.

remind 21:34 27 Apr 2006

ping www. bbc. co. uk

without the spaces - the forum automatically converts URLs in to `click here`

remind 21:35 27 Apr 2006

Any flashing lights on your modem when the internet is down?

aedoni 21:41 27 Apr 2006

Thanks for all these suggestions. I'll see what happens next time it goes down - won't be too long...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)