serious disc error

  joe95 23:26 10 Apr 2004

My wife has a 5yr old HP Pavilion 6405 and it has been playing up a lot lately finally packed up today,have recovery disc but keep getting serious disc error.
20g hd, memory 256mb
Intel celeron 400 mmx
3D hardware accelerated graphics with MS D3D
ATI Rage Pro Turbo AGP
only usedc for letter writing, solitaire etc
Help appreciated

  woodchip 23:29 10 Apr 2004

This sounds like you have win98se so if you have a Floppy rescue disc start with the disc and at A:\> type SCANDIK press enter

  joe95 23:37 10 Apr 2004

Thanks woodchip but never had a floppy boot disc always used recovery disc.You are right Win98se.

  woodchip 23:42 10 Apr 2004

Go hear for the Win98se OEM disc, put a blank floppy in the drive and double click the download to create a disc and do the above
click here

  joe95 10:19 11 Apr 2004

got the start-up disc. tried option 1 start with cd nothing.
tried without cd, message 'C' drive does not contain valid FAT 32 or FAT 32 partition .run FDisc from MS-DOS.
No idea how to do that.

  fuzzyone 10:23 11 Apr 2004


boot from floppy, and when you get the A:/ prompt type fdisk, and hit enter.

  joe95 14:40 12 Apr 2004

thanks tried that message error reading fixed disk

  Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 14:44 12 Apr 2004

Sounds like the hd has failed you may need another hdd.


  woodchip 14:54 12 Apr 2004

You need to go into BIOS SETUP when starting computer and set the computer to start with floppy as first boot device the Hard Drive followed by CD-rom

  joe95 15:01 12 Apr 2004

How do I get into BIOS SETUP? when I switch on PC there is nothing, sue floppy options
with cd result nothing, without cd get FDISK ERROR

  VoG II 15:04 12 Apr 2004

How to get into the BIOS depends on make/fodel. Here are some keys to try click here**&p_li=

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy A8 review: Hands-on

Illustrator Juan Esteban Rodriguez on creating highly detailed official film posters for Star Wars…

iMac Pro review

Comment savoir si quelqu'un a bloqué votre numéro de téléphone ?