Sending and receiving fax messages

MikeSA 22:20 17 Oct 2015

Forgive my ignorance but now that fax machines are obsolete, how does one send and receive fax messages?

I assume nowadays the alternative is communication by email but then, if I have to forward say brochures and documents to someone, how do I copy them on my hard drive and send them off as attachments? All responses would be appreciated

wee eddie 22:24 17 Oct 2015

Do you have a Scanner?

rdave13 22:27 17 Oct 2015

Usually you scan your documents via your printer to your PC. Then attach the file/s to your email. Failing that option find an Estate agent or Bank that will be willing to fax your documents at a cost per page.

Did this years ago via an estate agent but not sure fax is still available.

lotvic 00:38 18 Oct 2015

If starting with printed matter, usually you scan multiple pages to make a single .pdf file that you can then email as an attachment. Here is a Youtube showing how to scan to pdf with an Epson printer software. Your printer prob has a similar program to use.

To email a .pdf file, rightclick on it and choose Send to Mail Recipient and then write your email text in the email compose box that opens up.

OR, in your email program Write your email and then click on the 'Attach' icon and browse to your .pdf and select it.

lotvic 00:39 18 Oct 2015

oops, Here's the link to the youtube vid click here

spuds 11:34 18 Oct 2015

"but now that fax machines are obsolete,"

We still have access to a fax machine, and they are still readily available, as far as I am aware!

Now if you were talking about 'ticker-tape' Telex, then that might be another subject :O)

lotvic 14:11 18 Oct 2015

Another PS, I should have said when you email an attachment it sends a copy of the file and you still have the original file (.pdf or .docx or .jpg etc) on your harddrive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)