Sending a Letter from Outlook - Using Template

wee eddie 13:08 20 Oct 2003

I have been trying - For the first time - to create a letter using Outlook to save time on the addressing.

Outlook Contacts > Actions > New Letter to Contact > Letter Wizard > Choose Page Design > Highlight required template > Template displayed in Display Box.

However, it doesn't get beyond that. Everything else in the Letter Wizard works, but when I print, just the text I have chosen comes up.

What have I done wrong?

wee eddie 18:36 20 Oct 2003

things that go bump in the night!

wee eddie 20:11 20 Oct 2003

I'll try that.

Previously Office '97 had no Snail Mail facilities that I was aware of - email only. Now I'm on Office XP, I am trying to use the extra bits that I had to pay for.

I have already had several tries to get it to work but won't be able to confirm success or failure till I get into my other PC tomorrow morning. Theres no printer at this end.

There's no mention that background printing is needed in the Help Files

wee eddie 10:52 21 Oct 2003

The background printing in Word refers to, printing while you work, rather than something on the background.

IE is not involved as it is Outlook not OE, I am using.

Anybody else got any ideas

wee eddie 13:30 21 Oct 2003

e-mail is not involved.

From Outlook Contacts, I am trying to print a Letter to one of the Reps.

The Template I am trying to use is my Business Letterhead which is a ***.dot file.

So I think the answer must lie within Office somewhere.

Taff36 14:28 21 Oct 2003

Sorry to butt in chaps ......I`ve just tried wee eddie`s letter lesson and it worked first time. I`ve never done it before either.

Couple of things to check. Is the template you are using stored on your local computer where you are composing the letter. (c:\documents & settings\(YOUR IDENTITY)\application data\microsoft\templates - I think) or are you working on a laptop from home and then plugging it back into the office network to print.

Secondly - Is the "letterhead" an image or text as well. If it is just an image is it embedded in the template or linked to the template. Templates we use at work are linked to an image file so that if it changes all templates change automatically.

Taff36 15:06 21 Oct 2003

Thanks - I`ve put my first two replies in one so we`ll see what comes back. Let us know when you`ve tried the wizard because if we can both manage it we`ll sort it between us.

wee eddie 15:21 21 Oct 2003

Outlook Contacts > Actions > New Letter to Contact > Letter Wizard > Choose Page Design > Highlight required template > Template displayed in Display Box.

Above is my Click trail.

The Letter Wizard is a grey box, with 2 windows. The left is: Choose Page Design, with a text box above. This directly accesses the folder of Templates.dot, you highlight on and it appears in the window below.

Logic suggests that you then Click 'Next'. This allows you to choose the other insertions, clicking 'Next' between each. Then you have the choice: Finish or Cancel. Click Finish and you get your letter ready to fill in the Text, but the Template has gone.

wee eddie 15:26 21 Oct 2003

W'98. Office Pro XP. IBM with K500 & 256Mg RAM, lots of disk space left.

Taff36 15:47 21 Oct 2003

Slightly different to my setup. XP Pro plus Office Pro (Includes Outlook 2002 SP2)

Clicks pretty much the same as you but when the wizard launches so does WORD. The dialog box is in word. I have 4 steps (Tabs) Again similar - Letter Format - Recipient Info - Other - Sender Info. The first one selects the template as you say. I don`t understand why it should be different. Djohn !!!!!!

wee eddie 16:25 21 Oct 2003

The Template displays correctly but is not picked up by the Word Document1.

Default is to print the template and treat it as if it were a printed Letterhead

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

Best Black Friday deals for designers and artists 2018

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)