Selling a Sony Vaio laptop for spares

wavyglanbles85 23:34 04 Dec 2018

I'm looking to sell an old Sony Vaio laptop on eBay, which has a blu-ray drive, 6gb ram, and can work with either Windows 8 or 10. But I have a feeling either the motherboard is getting worse or the hard drive is corrupted as it goes really really slow. And I've just tried it again after a year or so it the Sony Vaio logo keeps reseting itself. Now I have a MacBook Pro, I am looking to get rid of the Vaio as spares and repairs.

I know that I should remove the hard drive out of the laptop, but I can't seem to find any license key or something similar to the Windows I had on it. If I can't find the Windows key, can I still sell the laptop and say the buyer was to install a different Windows on it for example?

Many thanks in advance.

bumpkin 23:47 04 Dec 2018

Before you try selling it, ask yourself who would want it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:55 05 Dec 2018

8 or 10 keys are saved on MS server so if you either:

1. format the drive and install a clean version of windows it should reactivate when connected to the web. That make fix it. Wipe the freespace on the drive (CCleaner free will do it) to get rid of any personal info that may be recoverable with recovery programs.

2. Reset it to factory condition. and again wipe the free space on the drive.

wavyglanbles85 11:44 06 Dec 2018

Thank you Fruit Bat.

All I'm getting at the moment is the VAIO screen resetting itself, when pressing the Assist button it won't even let me do the repair/recovery F10 option, it only lets me access the Boot screen.

The other thing, what would I need to do if I wanted to sell the laptop without the hard drive?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:08 06 Dec 2018

1st try removing and refitting the HDD to remake the connections.

Is the HDD showing in BIOS.

wavyglanbles85 23:28 06 Dec 2018

I've refitted the hard drive and checked the BIOS. After accessing BIOS it does read the Hard Disk Drive as 500GB.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:00 07 Dec 2018

How far does it boot now?

wavyglanbles85 16:51 07 Dec 2018

It still doesn't get past the Sony Vaio logo.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:19 07 Dec 2018

remove all power leads and battery.

press and hold the power button for 30 seconds reconnect mains power and se if it gets any further.

wavyglanbles85 21:25 07 Dec 2018

It still keeps looping the Vaio logo.

rdave13 21:32 07 Dec 2018

Dead Hard drive. Buy a new one and fresh install win 10. Drivers from Sony site. Usually Win 8 drivers will work if needed.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Windows Lite: what it is and when it might be released

Candid photography at home is helping Swedes to sell houses

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comment installer Fortnite sur un Mac ?