selling Computers

suburban train 00:29 11 Feb 2003

I own myself windos 2000 and windows xp which have bought legally from shops.

Im hoping to build computers in the near future and am i allowed to put operating systems on on the newly built self made computers.

I hope to sell a few computers aswell but will i need an extra license or something.

I know plenty of people who sell slightly older laptops with windows 98 on reselling them with windows 2000 or windows xp after upgrading. Is this illegal?

Cheers

faichfolds 00:32 11 Feb 2003

Each computer should have its own version of the OS ie 1 machine, 1 liscence.
I'll let you work out the legality issue from that statement

suburban train 00:34 11 Feb 2003

Thank you for that but there are loads of people on auctions or selling their PC in a local paper who put upgrades on their PC's shouldnt that be stopped

lacker 00:48 11 Feb 2003

It is possible the vendors of these second hand computors,have bought the 'multi Licence'option from Microsoft which allows them to install on 5 machines or more.How much this costs I don't know,but information can be got from the Microsoft catalogue site.

DieSse 00:57 11 Feb 2003

All you need is to buy the software you wish to install - you can buy it retail, or wholesale. To buy wholesale, you normally need to prove to the wholesaler that you're legally in business as a systems builder. Size doesn't matter - just tha you are one.

Being in the computer business is no different to any other business - you merely need to comply with normal business requirements (TAX - VAT - Legal use of premises - etc).

Djohn 01:03 11 Feb 2003

When you purchase your PC system parts to assemble yourself, you will be entitled to buy OEM versions of O/S to install and then sell on to your customers, with the PC.

As for older systems with upgrades, then yes, it is legal to sell/buy as long as the original, and the upgrade CD, and licence is included.

Djohn 01:04 11 Feb 2003

Morning, DieSse. :o)

DieSse 01:15 11 Feb 2003

As a system builder, one can quite readily buy OEM software versions without buying hardware from the same vendor - I do it all the time - in fact one of my software suppliers doesn't sell hardware. The point is, though, you can only supply it on to an end-user when it's part of a system, or a "substantial" hardware package.

You can also, of course, buy retail versions at wholesale prices, for sale without hardware.

I will give you the same advice as I give everyone who's thinking of entering this business. You can only compete with the big suppliers on your competence - you cannot compete on price and make a living out of that.

It's the ongoing service and knowledge that you can bring to your clients, that will make you a better place to buy then a mail-order houise, or impersonal store.

DieSse 01:17 11 Feb 2003

Mornin' - 0224 here currently!

faichfolds 01:18 11 Feb 2003

€dstow 08:29 11 Feb 2003

If you are in Europe and if you intend to build computers on a commercial basis, make sure you are familiar with all the electrical safety requirements and tests necessary to legally sell your machines.

Be warned - this doesn't come cheap!!

€d

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?