Selfbuilt desktop infrequent boot, grey screen

Frezy 20:55 17 Aug 2018

I have had my desktop for about 7 years now. Over the last half year, it have had problems booting up, when the power button is pressed, one of 3 things happens: - Screen and keyboard stays inactive, but I can hear the computer running - I hear the computer rebooting itself without any interference from me - Everything turns on, and the computer works perfectly until it's shut down. (rougly 1% of the times)

This was very anoying, but I never found a way to fix it, so I just learned to live with it. A few days ago I was having trouble running any Java related programs, I couldn't get it working and I ended up going for a full system restore, deleting everything. After that, it couldn't turn on at all, whenever it would finally get to where it usually would turn on, the screen would just be lit, but still black/grey. So I tried running a fresh Windows 7 install on it (using Win10 before), this time installing on my HDD, rather than my SDD. It seemed to work perfectly up until the point where I had installed all my drivers, restarted it, then I was back to the same problem.

Can anyone tell me what the hell is wrong with my computer? I reallize it's old and some of the parts is probably failing, but specifically which parts? Obviously any solution not involving new parts would be preferred.

The computer: -Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z77 -Graphic card: 2x GTX 760-TI -Ram: 4x4gb DDR3 -CPU: i7 3rd generation(not sure which specifically) -Power: 750W

Also, a couple of years ago, I was getting a CPU fan error, which was fixed by turning the minimum clock cycles down to 200. Not sure it that makes any difference.

Some help would be greatly appriciated, I feel like I have done all I can for this old beast, but nothing is working.

Frezy 20:57 17 Aug 2018

Sorry about the poor formatting, this should be better. I have had my desktop for about 7 years now. Over the last half year, it have had problems booting up, when the power button is pressed, one of 3 things happens:

• Screen and keyboard stays inactive, but I can hear the computer running
  • I hear the computer rebooting itself without any interference from me
  • Everything turns on, and the computer works perfectly until it's shut down. (rougly 1% of the times)

This was very anoying, but I never found a way to fix it, so I just learned to live with it. A few days ago I was having trouble running any Java related programs, I couldn't get it working and I ended up going for a full system restore, deleting everything. After that, it couldn't turn on at all, whenever it would finally get to where it usually would turn on, the screen would just be lit, but still black/grey. So I tried running a fresh Windows 7 install on it (using Win10 before), this time installing on my HDD, rather than my SDD. It seemed to work perfectly up until the point where I had installed all my drivers, restarted it, then I was back to the same problem.

Can anyone tell me what the hell is wrong with my computer? I reallize it's old and some of the parts is probably failing, but specifically which parts? Obviously any solution not involving new parts would be preferred.

The computer:

-Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z77

-Graphic card: 2x GTX 760-TI

-Ram: 4x4gb DDR3

-CPU: i7 3rd generation(not sure which specifically)

-Power: 750W

Also, a couple of years ago, I was getting a CPU fan error, which was fixed by turning the minimum clock cycles down to 200. Not sure it that makes any difference.

Some help would be greatly appriciated, I feel like I have done all I can for this old beast, but nothing is working.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

Print legends Dan Mumford and Supermundane on making the leap from 2D to AR

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs