security for wireless intranet

sedonajoe 00:24 13 Dec 2007

I have a lap top and belkin wireless modem via cable broadband. Im not sure when I set this up that I added any security to stop other people using my connection. I've tryed a few times but always fail. anybody please help!

sedonajoe 00:27 13 Dec 2007

Origonal post should have read "belkin router"

Kemistri 01:19 13 Dec 2007

It's very easy, but without a model number, my instructions will have to be generic.

[1] Open Notepad and type out a long mix of upper- and lower-case letters, numbers, and symbols. Circa 20 characters. Paste it to the clipboard and save the document with an innocuous title.
[2] Turn off any wireless clients. Access the router over an Ethernet connection. DO NOT access it over a wireless link or leave any wireless links active.
[3] Log in to the router's configuration menu.
[4] In the Wireless section, choose Security.
[5] Select WPA-PSK or WPA2 or similar - not WEP - from the drop-down box.
[6] Paste the key below.
[7] Save and close. Reboot the router.
[8] Take your text file to any and all wireless clients.
[9] Browse for your SSID and attempt to connect. Paste the key twice, once on each line of the pop-up box. Connect.

The above assumes that you are using Windows' Wireless Zero Configuration and NOT any third-party adapter management software.

LAP 08:09 13 Dec 2007

Noted, thanks.

sedonajoe 15:26 13 Dec 2007

Derrrrrrrrr!!!!!! 'Absolute beginers' Words of one sylable please. Ethernet connection?????????
SSID????????????

Kemistri 15:44 13 Dec 2007

That's about as simple as networking gets.

sedonajoe 19:36 13 Dec 2007

ok thanks. I'll try again and hope I don't loose my connection it's frustrating talking to people on the sub continent with the language difference.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:03 14 Dec 2007

Ethernet connection?????????

Cable from your router to the PC click here

SSID????????????
Short for service set identifier, a 32-character unique identifier. The SSID differentiates one WLAN from another, so all access points and all devices attempting to connect to a specific WLAN must use the same SSID. A device will not be permitted to join the BSS unless it can provide the unique SSID

Belkin security
click here

sedonajoe 20:50 31 Jan 2008

Many thanks to all who took the time to reply. In the end got my son to sort it out. I now run a secure system.

lester1 00:00 01 Feb 2008

book marked

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough fights back against sexual misconduct

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Espace de stockage : comment libérer de la mémoire sur votre iPhone ?