SECURITY CERTIFICATES ON SOME WEBSITES

TomJohn 13:52 05 Oct 2018

On IE for some websites such as Google I keep getting a message saying there is a problem with this websites security certificate. Other sites seem to work ok. I have a similar problem with Chrome. I'm fairly sure it isn't a virus or anything like that. I'm on Windows 7 Home Premium. I've googled the problem but got nowhere so far. Any suggestions?

wee eddie 14:11 05 Oct 2018

What is your Anti Virus? AV is the product that usually flags-up that sort of thing

TomJohn 14:30 05 Oct 2018

I'm using MS security essentials. I will try AVG

john bunyan 14:55 05 Oct 2018

Check your date/ time. If wrong that can cause these issues. If it persists your CMOS battery may need replacing

alanrwood 16:52 05 Oct 2018

This happens on a lot of sites who's security certificate has expired. Check the url starts with httpS. Pointing this possible security risk has recently been built into some browsers.

TomJohn 17:17 05 Oct 2018

The date time look fine. Its sites like google and youtube so not just obscure ones. What is a CMOS battery and how do I tell if it needs replaced. Some sites allow me to continue but some I just can't get access to at all. Its across IE as well as Chrome. Other than this the computer is working fine.

john bunyan 22:44 05 Oct 2018

A CMOS battery is one of those flat silver discs that back up the date etc when the PC is switched off. If your date / time is ok, don’t worry. Google your PC and battery to see how to change it but not easy on some laptops.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)