Security Alert -Symantec

User-BBA592BF-18E7-41F4-A80C3F6ECD32BDB7 13:53 17 May 2006

Bit of a novice but can anyone explain how I can remove the Symantec Security Alert pop up that reminds me that "Virus protection is out of date"

The major problem is that this thing will keep popping up so if the pc is left on while you do something else the message will have popped up 100 times plus. I do not want to renew Norton at this stage I do not want to chance a complete uninstall but just turn off the reminder.

My os is windows xp home and is kept updated .

Jackcoms 14:03 17 May 2006

"I do not want to renew Norton at this stage I do not want to chance a complete uninstall but just turn off the reminder"

I'm a bit confused about what you do and do not want.

You do not want to renew Norton - so, I assume your AV definitions are out of date - hence the pop-ups.

You do not want to un-install Norton. But if you intend to install another AV program alongside Norton, they will conflict with each other.

I uninstalled Norton AV about 6 months ago using Add/Remove programs. It was a perfectly clean and painless exercise.

I then installed free Avast AV with which I'm perfectly happy.

I think that you need to make your mind up one way or t'other.

beynac 14:09 17 May 2006

I agree with Jackcoms. You either need to renew Norton or uninstall it and replace it with an alternative program. You are risking infection if you do not have an up-to-date antivirus program.

If you have trouble uninstalling click here

Jackcoms 10:35 18 May 2006

And your solution was ....??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

6 great UX design talks you can watch online

How to jailbreak an iPhone or iPad in iOS 11 or iOS 10

Musique de Noël : les meilleures chansons en streaming