Secure Digital brands - what is good or bad?

montyburns 12:07 31 Dec 2005

I've been lucky enough to get an iPAQ 4700 for Christmas, and I'm looking to get an SD card for it now.

There seem to be some good offers (as in cheap!) around, but not sure about brands. Dabs have Kingston and Sandisk, and PCNextday have Apacers for under 50 quid for a 1Gb card, whereas HP's own brand is around £100 for the same size

I've bought an Apacer CF card from PCNextday before and had no problem (on 256Mb) but a mate had a 512Mb Apacer that has failed completely and now won't even format....

Any thoughts folks?

SG Atlantis® 12:11 31 Dec 2005

I like PNY. But I have non-branded cards too and they work just as well.

Edward_Winsall 12:13 31 Dec 2005

There all the same! as long as you look after them, the card is the same you are paying for the name on the card, thats it. Look for the cheapest ones, and go for it

Diodorus Siculus 12:17 31 Dec 2005

A review in one of the PC mags a few months ago tested access speeds for branded and non branded cards and came to the conclusion that in real world terms there is no discernable difference between them.

Stuartli 12:29 31 Dec 2005

Go to click here and put in an order before 2pm today and you'll get a low cost, high capacity Secure Digital card with free p and p.

Try the Clearance and Specials sections first...:-)

woodchip 12:34 31 Dec 2005

I use Viking from click here

g0nvs 13:07 31 Dec 2005

Always buy well known brands, cheap cards are just that. Don't trust your data with no name brands. Have a look here.click here

montyburns 13:13 31 Dec 2005

Edward_winsall is saying "There all the same! as long as you look after them, the card is the same you are paying for the name on the card, thats it. Look for the cheapest ones, and go for it"

But g0nvs says "Always buy well known brands, cheap cards are just that. Don't trust your data with no name brands"

ARGH! Who's right?!

Totally-braindead 13:14 31 Dec 2005

I've had a digital camera for about 4 years now taken hundreds if not thousands of shots and never had a memory card fail me, one of them is Sandisk and the other two are cheap generic ones. As far as I'm concerned they are the same and if I was wanting another card I'd probably buy the cheapest. Having said that, if you shop about especially at this time of year you may find you can get a branded card at the same price as a generic one. I also suggest having a look at 7 day shop.

Totally-braindead 13:18 31 Dec 2005

You typed at the same time I did. I can only repeat what I said, I take care of my memory cards, always put them back in the case if not in use, don't leave them lying about and have never had a problem. Perhaps your friend didn't take as much care of the memory card as he/she should have or perhaps gOnvs has a point but I personally have noticed no difference. If you are even remotely concerned buy a branded one.

montyburns 13:36 31 Dec 2005

OK folks, thanks for the info!

Decided to go for a Kingston 1Gb from Dabs (could have prob found it slightly cheaper, but have bought from Dabs before and went for the easy option!)

Fingers crossed!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?