Secondhand computer with partitioned HDD.

Bald Eagle 15:38 17 Mar 2003

I have a secondhand machine that has had it's HDD partitioned into C & D drives. C has win98 loaded and the programs I have installed. It is set up to FAT32 and has 2010MB used and 906 MB free. D has duplicates of recycle bin and gobackio. It also contains WUTemp, Avg6db_fdat, Command, Io.sys and Msdos.sys. It is set up as FAT and has 2047MB used and 1841MB free.Most of the usage on D is the copy of gobackio from the GoBack program that I use to get me out of messes, which I think I can safely delete. I have a copy of Partition Magic, would it be worthwhile removing the partition? I have no intention of dual booting or saving to D preferring CD backup.

€dstow 15:46 17 Mar 2003

Have you thought about doing a clean sweep and starting again? Clear out all the rubbish.

If you're thinking of doing something as drastic as you are, this may be the best option (assuming you have a 98 disk).

€d

Bald Eagle 15:58 17 Mar 2003

€d yes I have all the original discs etc. However, whenever I try something like you've suggested something always goes wrong and I finish up in a loop with the computer not finding files or something similar or once even saying that the disk had the wrong serial number on it. I have only once manged a fresh loading of Windows and it took me ages with the machine crashing and such like. Just thought PM might be easier seems I might be wrong.

€dstow 16:10 17 Mar 2003

I've never had any problems with fdisk etc (once you can understand what its trying to do). My thoughts were that you would end up with a clutter-free machine.

Not all that familiar with PM but, as it works in DOS, can you do these things from within PM? Be easier if you can.

€d

tenor 16:21 17 Mar 2003

You could just format d.

leo49 16:29 17 Mar 2003

If you want to get rid of D using PM it's very easy.Open PM rightclick in the D drive on bar display of your drives and select Delete.Then click in your C drive and select Resize and in the dialog box drag the C drive out by the horizontal double arrows to encompass all the newly created unallocated space.

Regards

Bald Eagle 16:49 17 Mar 2003

Off upstairs to try leo 49's suggestion. Understand what you are saying €d and may try reloading 98 when I have moe time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?