Second IDE HD Instalation

nyvrem 09:33 30 Jul 2008

I have an older computer running XP home and want to install an internal second HD for back-up purposes. I dont appear to have any spare connections left. I have one HD , one DVD burner, one CD burner and one floppy. Should I remove the CD burner and use the connection from there. Do I configure the second HD to Slave. Any help would be appreciated.
Merv.

Technotiger 09:46 30 Jul 2008

click here

I would be very surprised if you do not have a spare Power lead coming from your PSU inside the PC. You should not need to remove any of your other drives.

Technotiger 09:47 30 Jul 2008

If you really do need to remove one drive, then I would remove the Floppy. USB floppy drives are very cheap, if you still need a floppy.

Technotiger 09:51 30 Jul 2008

Ooops, silly me - the Floppy Power cable will not fit a hard-drive - needs to be a larger Molex connection as per the other drives, but I still think you should have a spare, or it is possible to get a adapter/splitter to give another connection point.

Technotiger 09:54 30 Jul 2008

Scroll down to about the ninth item shown here click here

ambra4 10:22 30 Jul 2008

“I don’t appear to have any spare connections left”

Do you mean IDE connector or power cable connector?

If hard drive only has a single IDE connector change cable to a master/slave IDE cable and connect

second hard drive as a slave drive

If no power connector you need a 2-way power adapter/splitter

If hard drive and cd/dvd drive are connected via 1 IDE cable to IDE1 connector on motherboard

disconnect the CD/DVD drive and connect second hard drive as a slave drive

Using a second IDE cable connected the cd/dvd drive to IDE 2 on the motherboard

DieSse 10:36 30 Jul 2008

Just to amplify what ambra4 saud.

You can have up to 4 IDE devices - a floppy drive is NOT an IDE device, and uses a different, separate cable.

Each of the two IDE cables can have two devices. You should keep hard drives to one cable and hard drives to the other.

If you have an IDE cable with only one device connector, you need to get a replacement with two connectors.

The hard drives must be on the Primary cable - your existing drive will already be on the Primary cable.

The Primary IDE cable should be an 80-wire cable - the other one doesn't really matter.

There are jumpers on the drives - your existing drive will be set to the Master position. Set the new drive jumper to the Slave position - it's normally shown how on the drive itself. It doesn't matter which of the two connectors you put each drive on (even if someone tells you different - it really does not matter! - even if it's marked on the cable - it really doesn't matter!).

Your two optical drives should be on the Secondary cable.

Alternatively, get an external drive case, and connect the new drive via USB - then your backups are safer, as they can be disconnected from the system.

DieSse 10:37 30 Jul 2008

You should keep hard drives to one cable and hard drives to the other.

should read

You should keep hard drives to one cable and optical drives to the other.

nyvrem 09:31 31 Jul 2008

Many thanks folks, new drive set to slave, new IDE primary cable (twin)and works fine. Your good!
Merv

Technotiger 09:39 31 Jul 2008

Grreat, thanks for your feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?