Second Hand Dell Optiplex GX260 computer needs a logon password ...

Aitchbee 20:37 05 Jun 2013
Answered

...I bought it today from a charity shop for a tenner, as I already own a GX260 and thought it might come in handy for spares etc.

Anyway, the computer boots up ok but it is asking for a logon password for the User name 'Administrator' ... which I do not know. [xp pro].

Can I use my 'almost identical' GX260 computer to overcome this password 'hurdle'.

BTW. I have a good backup of my old computer which I may use as a last resort to overwrite the charity shop computer.

Thanks in anticipation.

Aitchbee 23:17 08 Jun 2013

I'm just [right now] getting [a]round to burning some disks and writing a floppy or two that might assist me in getting over or [a]round that logon password 'hurdle'... thanks to rdave13 and simplesimon1 for that.

Also, I've had a look at the contents of the charity shop computer's hard disk, bumpkin, [using Easus partition manager] and I would rather try to keep that intact as there are some 'nifty' programmes on it :o) It's a doddle to open the case BTW ... just press 2 buttons on each side lift up the top and 'hey-presto' ... all is revealed.

Devil Fish ... will have a gander at that link of yours as well. Thanks.

I don't tend to hurry things and will let you all know how it goes.

Aitchbee 10:01 09 Jun 2013

Success!

SimpleSimon1, your solution was just as you said it would be 'quick and simple'.

Thanks again and to the other forum members for your suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo Reno 2 Z review: Hands-on

TikTok and how to use it for illustration success

macOS Catalina Review: New MacOS update turns your Mac into an entertainment hub

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone 11, 11 Pro et 11 Pro Max (2019)