Seagate SATA II & Safely Remove Hardware ?

Giggle n' Bits 22:28 01 May 2006

Just installed windows clean using the correct SATA NForce4 Drivers for my Gigabyte HDD and notice that near the System Tray.

The HDD is showing as a "Safely Remove Hardware" item ! How can it be when its internal and fixed.

This is a internal HDD can someone please tell me if this is ok to be showing as a removable device please.

phono 00:36 02 May 2006

It is normal for Via motherboards so I suspect it is also normal for nVidia boards.

It appears that SATA was designed with "hot plugging and unplugging capability" in mind.

Giggle n' Bits 00:46 02 May 2006

don't think unplugging a SATA HDD would be wise while being switched on, just imagine frying the drive or something.

phono 21:55 02 May 2006

I agree, that's what I would have thought, but looking on the Via website it clearly states that SATA was designed with "hot plugging" capability.

I would think it would be especially unwise if it was your C: drive.

DieSse 00:22 03 May 2006

It is indeed shown as a "Safely Remove Hardware" as SATA drives can be hot-plugged, just like USB devices.

I have a friend with a caddy SATA drive for backups (which I installed) - and he can and does "hot-plug" for backing up.

You can't do that with IDE drives - in fact you need to remove mains power before unplugging IDE drives.

phono 00:39 03 May 2006

That was my understanding of it DieSse, but I still think it would be catastrophic to "remove" the C: drive.

DieSse 01:00 03 May 2006

*I still think it would be catastrophic to "remove" the C: drive.*

It certainly would if Windows was running!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)