Seagate External Harddrive Visibility Issues

silentmovieman 12:51 16 Jan 2017

So I have a seagate External drive which had been working perfectly fine for me right upto yesterday.

My kids were watching a film via the drive connected to my ps4 and all worked well but when I went to connect it to my netbook to manage some files it was no longer visible.

I've done extensive google searches but not come across anything that would seem to fix my problem.

The drive is visible in drive management but not in disk management. I have tried or in all the uso ports but that makes no difference.

The drive now no longer shows up when I plug it into the ps4 which leafs me to suspect that it's had it and I've lost whatever was on it.

One other thing to note is that when I connect it to my netbook it makes a noise like the drive inside is spinning to try and come to life.

Having said this however it had just decided to show up on my netbook so I am copying the files off of it right now to make sure they're not lost. I'm going to say however that this is going to need replacing right?

Archonar 15:53 16 Jan 2017

Did you do anything differently the time it worked? I know it seems obvious but since it is now working the drive clearly isn't dead so don't go ahead and replace it just yet

silentmovieman 16:05 16 Jan 2017

Nope I didn't do anything different. I had the drive plugged into my network and was ploughing my way through a variety of different work arounds with no joy.

I then unplugged the hard drive and then plugged it back in and bobs your uncle it was up and running again.

Don't really know why but I have a feeling this could be the beginning of the end.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?