Seagate external hard drive

Jase Digger Bolton 18:40 15 Nov 2018

Hi all I wonder if anyone can help me I have a seagate external hard drive I was working fine until last week But now it has stopped working when I plug it In it does show in device manager and in devices and printers But there is no way I can open it Many thanks Jason

525kev 19:38 15 Nov 2018

Is it spinning when connected or making any noise at all ?

wee eddie 00:45 16 Nov 2018

Is there any chance that someone pulled its plug out, without going through the normal "Removal" Routine?

Jase Digger Bolton 05:35 16 Nov 2018

Hi thanks I don’t think it’s making any noise I didn’t think it ever has or I can’t hear it And I have checked it is plugged in both ends Thanks

BRYNIT 07:30 16 Nov 2018

You say it shows in device manager but does it show in disk management, does it have a drive letter assigned to it if not right click on the drive and give it a drive letter.

wee eddie 08:31 16 Nov 2018

Digger: I did not ask whether it was plugged in. I have added 3 words, in the past

I asked: Is there any chance that someone pulled its plug out, in the past, without going through the normal Removal Routine?

Jase Digger Bolton 16:54 16 Nov 2018

Hi it does show in disk management not sue about a letter And when you say unplugged it how do you mean Thanks

525kev 17:33 16 Nov 2018

When you want to disconnect an external drive you need to Eject it before disconnecting or it can stop working properly. If you unplugged or switched off when it was working that may have led to this issue. If it shows in Disk Management then you should see a drive letter after "New Volume#"

being the drive letter assigned to the external drive.

You should also see a Blue bar across the top of the partition not a Black one. And the words HEALTHY. I'm not an expert but I hope this helps.

525kev 17:35 16 Nov 2018

Lets try that again without the Bold lol

When you want to disconnect an external drive you need to Eject it before disconnecting or it can stop working properly. If you unplugged or switched off when it was working that may have led to this issue. If it shows in Disk Management then you should see a drive letter after "New Volume#"

being the drive letter assigned to the external drive.

You should also see a Blue bar across the top of the partition not a Black one. And the words HEALTHY. I'm not an expert but I hope this helps.

525kev 17:36 16 Nov 2018

I give up !

Jase Digger Bolton 05:28 17 Nov 2018

Ok I have never ejected it I just pull out the usb

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Pixel Slate review

Brian Cox-branded beer brings Big Bang beauty to bottles

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comment jouer à des jeux de PS2 et PS3 sur PS4 ?