Seagate ext hard drive not accessible

martd7 13:50 05 May 2018
Answered

I was having a clean round my pc the other day,it was on doing a MWB scan, and I managed to knock out the usb connector from the ext hard drive to the pc

Result of this is I turned the pc off and hard drive,relocated the usb plug and booted up the pc,the icon on the desktop for the drive has a blue question mark on it,the hard drive seems to be working its blue light is on and theres nothing in device manager yet I cannot access the drive,nothing happens when I click on it,ive done several reboots and plugging in unplugging in but the the question mark over the drive remains

Hope someone can help retrieve this situation

wee eddie 15:52 05 May 2018

I'm afraid that, if the PC was accessing the Drive at the time the USB Connection was broken. there is every likelihood that serious damage was done.

It is normal for a drive to be dead after such an event.

Others may be able to help you but, from what I have heard and experienced myself, prepare for the worst.

martd7 16:10 05 May 2018

Wee Eddie

I hope not,the lights still on the drive and it's whirring away as normal just can't access it

wee eddie 17:07 05 May 2018

What happens is that, if you pull the connection out unexpectedly, the heads crash. Wrecking the plates/disks. Nothing needs to be wrong with the motor

martd7 17:11 05 May 2018

Can only live in hope someone has some idea to try

Flat Earther 22:59 05 May 2018

When you say "theres nothing in device manager yet I cannot access the drive" can you clarify if there is no drive showing in device manager, or if that means there is no problem showing with the drive, as it is oddly worded.

forget the shortcut on the desktop, open explorer and look in 'my computer' to see if it is listed in the drives.

martd7 07:56 06 May 2018

Flat earther

Well spotted,the word "wrong" is missing,should say "there's nothing wrong in device manager" and yes I can see the drive but when I click on it there is no response

Secret-Squirrel 08:55 06 May 2018
Answer

Mart, here are some things to try (in the following order):

1) If the PC's running Windows 10 (or 8.1) then disconnect the drive, click the Windows power icon then choose Restart. I think you're running Windows 7 though.

2) Try Flat Earther's tip regarding accessing the drive differently via Windows Explorer or Computer.

3) In Device Manager, right click on the drive, choose "Uninstall", disconnect its USB cable then reconnect it.

4) Look in Disk Management. Does the drive have a status of "Online" and "Healthy" or something else?

5) Try the drive on a different PC.

Let me know what you discover.

martd7 10:45 06 May 2018

SSquirell

Thanks im running Windows 7,ive tried accessing the drive as Flat earthers suggestion,yes its there in My Computer but clicking on it gets no response

I will try your suggestions later and come back to you

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:51 06 May 2018

Right click on the drive and select properties - my guess is its showing RAW format as disconnecting while access will damage the file structure (not physically damage the drive.

Recuva or test disk may help recover your data or if the data isn't important then a simple format of the drive will make the drive usable again.

Secret-Squirrel 11:34 06 May 2018

..........,yes its there in My Computer .............

That's slightly encouraging.

If the dive in question is formatted as NTFS then that's a very robust file system and a simple disk check may fix it. Anyhow, let me know what you discover first before we do anything.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Red Dead Online release date and gameplay news

Create a glowing superhero

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleures prises CPL