Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB Data Recoverey

Jordan57 13:32 01 Nov 2015

Hi Guys

I'm new to this forum and I'm not a HDD expert. If this problem is not an easy fix I will be sending the hard drive off for recovery.

I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB hard drive. When I mount this into to the dock, the drive is recognized and I can see all of the folders and files. If I try to copy any of the folders the hard drive freezes. I can copy small files for a period and then again it shuts down. There is a clunking noise coming from the hard drive and when it stops responding there is a sudden clunk and them it goes off line. Any diagnosis software I try to use causes the drive to shutdown.

If this is a faulty circuit board or if the head needs replacing I think I could managed this, but I'm not going top touch the platter.

Any Help or advice would be much appreciated

bumpkin 15:14 01 Nov 2015

if the head needs replacing I think I could managed this

I can assure you that you wont.

I would suggest that you try cloning it to another drive just to see if you can recover your data. Probably wont from what you have said but worth a go.

If no luck then download "Reccuva" or similar recovery software and try that.

bumpkin 15:16 01 Nov 2015

Here is a link click here

Peter 18:16 01 Nov 2015

Jordan 57,

Could be that your hard drive doesn't like getting warm.

Possibly worth cooling the drive by plastic bagging it and placing it in the fridge overnight and then doing as bumpkin suggested and cloning the drive. Cooling the drive may give you some extra time to finish the clone operation before it warms up too much.

Peter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Moving Brands on 20 years of bringing life to brands - and keeping their brand socially responsible

MacBook Air 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques Bluetooth (2018)