Seagate 4TB Expansion unusable after game crash

Jon Adams 23:03 23 Aug 2018

Hey, I have my Seagate 4TB Expansion (STEA4000400) hooked up to my PS4 as extended storage.

Was playing a game when the entire console crashed, needed to be unplugged at the wall to turn it off. When I started it back up, the hard drive was not even recognised as storage any more, and it would not even offer an option for repair.

I've tried plugging it into a Windows laptop, and even though it recognises it as an Extension, it will not let you access the storage.

I don't even care about the data that's in there- as far as I can remember, it's only game data, the saves are elsewhere- I just need to know if I or anyone (say, at a repair shop) can get it back up and running, or if it's entirely bricked.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:14 24 Aug 2018

Can you format it while it is connected to the laptop?

Jon Adams 17:48 24 Aug 2018

I've tried, won't let you do absolutely anything with it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:12 24 Aug 2018

how does it show in disk management?

rdave13 23:47 24 Aug 2018

Check the disk with MajorGeeks CrystalDiskInfo . Seems Seagate's reputation isn't what it used to be from what I've come across lately.

Taff™ 08:13 25 Aug 2018

Two of my customers have had problems with Seagate Expansion Storage and both under 2 year warranty. Seagate will offer a replacement in these cases but unless you bought their additional cost insurance they charge over £500 to even attempt the data recovery.

The only suggestion I have is to check if there are any tell tale "Clicks" when you attach the drive to another computer. Place rour finger on it as you connect it and see if you can feel the disk spinning up.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)