sd to cf cards

joel42 12:16 05 May 2006

I have some data stored on an SD card that I use in a PDA. I'd now like to start using a new pda that uses CF and not SD. Is there any way I can move/convert the data from one card to another?
Any help... in simple language would be greatly appreciated. The data is a UK map for TomTom5

De Marcus™ 12:23 05 May 2006

You acould always nuy a simple card reader for a few pounds from a local shop and transfer that way. Word of warning though, is the Tom Tom data compatible with the new device?

Ikelos 12:27 05 May 2006

drag all the contents out into a folder on the desktop then when the new card is in drag the lot back again, that is how i transfered mine from one tomtom card to another.

anchor 16:48 05 May 2006

I doubt that it will be as simple as that. No problem in copying the data over using a card reader, the main problem will be getting it to work on the new PDA.

The maps are registered with work with one PDA; your original. This is deliberately done to prevent people using the software on more than one device; (possible piracy). A possible answer is to contact TomTom support and explain the position; they may help.

TomTom support UK phone number: 0845 161 0009

(be prepared for a wait to speak to someone).

anchor 17:01 05 May 2006

Just thought you would not need to use a card reader.

Connect you old PDA and, using MS ActiveSync,
copy the contents of the SD card to a new folder on your hard disc.

Then connect the new PDA, and again using MS ActiveSync, copy the contents of the folder onto the CF card.

I still think that, without help from TomTom, it is questionable if it will work in the new PDA.

Nevertheless, its worth trying.

anchor 17:03 05 May 2006

If you don`t have MS ActiveSync it can be downloaded free here:

click here

joel42 18:10 05 May 2006

Thanks to all-once again great help from forum members

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 and 32 review – hands-on

When is the next Apple event?

Gmail : comment annuler l’envoi d’un e-mail ?