SD Cards 128 GB reliable ?

OCTCORE 10:39 28 Aug 2015

Hello there,

I have a Kingston 128 Gb class ten card and it has always been reliable, in fact I've had tons of sd cards with no issues. Recently I loaded up the 128 card with about 80gb of audio and pulled it out without using 'windows remove usb device' and when plug it in later it was corrupt and the only way out was to format, it was using exfat. I have probably removed lots of cards and drives the wrong way before without anything more than 'windows needs to check device' The card is under 2 years old and has not had a lot of use, I am trying to find out if smaller cards are more robust, I seem to remember when the first 128 usb sticks came out there were problems with reliability. It might be that it was audio files ? My plans for long term solid state storage are a bit lost as I've not had a card lose the plot like this before, I'll try the same scenario on my 128gb sandisk. Anyone had anything like this or should I use NTFS.

Dragon_Heart 17:18 28 Aug 2015

I think you may just have been lucky in the past. I use Micro and standard SD cards of all sizes and have not noticed any more problems with the higher capacity cards that the lower capacity ones.

Remember these cards are mass produced so some, a very small proportion may fail early.

I use Kingston sticks, cards & memory and they produce, in my opinion, good quality kit, have you tried contacting them with your problem ?

OCTCORE 13:48 29 Aug 2015

No I have not, I think they'll just say eject properly, as there has not been a ton of replies I will just assume it was a one off, but I'll still see if the sandisk hicups the same way.

wee eddie 14:28 29 Aug 2015

After an injudicious removal of an USB Stick. The Safe Removal Tool said that one was safe to remove, it wasn't.

I now remove USB Drives, only when the PC is turned Off.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:11 29 Aug 2015

It doesn't matter what card or size or format used, if you remove the card while its being written to or read from then your likely to corrupt the file system on on it.

All solid state media has an finite number of read write cycles before failure, less than a spinning HDD which of course is prone to mechanical or electronic failure.

In general the latest technology is the more reliable i.e. ssd rather than HDD

Nothing lasts forever so have a backup even stone tablets erode til they become unreadable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 5G UK Release Date, Price & Specification

The true inspiration behind Mr. Mime in Detective Pikachu - and why it's so hard to keep Pokémon…

WWDC 2019 dates and what to expect

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables (2019)