SCREEN OF DEATH! - NTLDR is missing

dumb_haddik 19:28 02 Apr 2006

About 1 hour ago, my Hard Disk died. i reckon it was a maxtor 40 gig from around 2001. i realise the screen

NTLDR is Missing

means something to do with the hard drive, but tell me, what exactly does it mean, and what could have caused it?

Thanks

dumb_haddik 19:32 02 Apr 2006

it's a DOS style screen

hzhzhz 19:34 02 Apr 2006
  wobblymike 19:40 02 Apr 2006

As hzhzhz above says

It means in plain english that your PC is trying to boot from a hard drive that does not have a bootable source (OS) on it. Either its failed or ths OS is corrupt or its a new drive which is not formatted.

From your intro i get the view that this is your original HDD that you have had for some time - to confirm its failed try and see if it is identified (Primary master I expect) in BIOS when you first switch it on.

dumb_haddik 19:44 02 Apr 2006

I have not recently made any file changes, nor is it a new drive. It has always been master, and it shouldn't change on it's own, should it?

I have managed to get XP up and running on a stone age 10gig drive, so lickily it hasn't taken the motherbord with it when it blew up.

i slotted it into another PC, and it is not recognised, so it will be going to Hard Drive Heaven soon.

Thanks.

wobblymike 19:48 02 Apr 2006

Before you can it one thought - it might just be wort rejumpering it to a slave and seeing if it is recognised in that configuration. This happened to me I had a drive which would not function as a master but would as a slave I am still using it as secondary storage. Worth a try.

dumb_haddik 20:11 02 Apr 2006

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

3D illustrator Billelis on how to promote yourself on social media

iMac Pro review

Apple Music : comment obtenir 3 mois gratuits ?