scanreg from c prompt

[DELETED] 23:29 10 Nov 2005

hello, I've lost a sector of my hard drive, I placed the drive in another machine as slave and it ran scandisc on it and it blocked off a sector which was "BAD", replaced the drive in it's proper case and windows detects a registry conflict, says select c prompt and run SCANREG. I tried this but it just says "bad command".
How can I replace the bit of windows I've lost. It's win98SE. Is there a way to run scanreg from the boot floppy?
As always, very grateful for any advice. Adrian

LastChip 23:52 10 Nov 2005

Boot-up with your boot floppy, without CD ROM support (not necessary) and you will end up with a command prompt a:

At the prompt type;

C: [enter]

which should change you to a C: prompt, now type;

scanreg /restore [enter]

and let the utility run. Pick a date prior to your woes and keep everything crossed!

[DELETED] 23:54 10 Nov 2005

You might need to do c:\windows\command\scanreg /restore if it's not found automatically.

[DELETED] 00:22 11 Nov 2005

Thanks, but it keeps saying bad command or file name.

[DELETED] 00:26 11 Nov 2005

`c:\windows\command\scanreg.exe /restore`?

If that doesnt work, make sure the prompt says c: again (type `c:` again if it doesn't) , and do `dir scanreg*.* /s` , note the folder and include the whole path when you try again

[DELETED] 00:45 11 Nov 2005

tried both these, 1st, Bad command, 2nd gave the drive volume name & number, then scanned drive and said "File not found". I guess that's it then, format & reinstall? Thanks for trying.

[DELETED] 00:49 11 Nov 2005

No scanreg..well, if you find WIN*.cab files using the dir /s command, you can extract the SCANREG file from those. Usually in windows\command\options\cabs.
Alternatively, make a boot floppy with this click here and do it from A:, it has scanreg on it.

[DELETED] 01:10 11 Nov 2005

thanks, the floppy did scanreg, but it's beyond repair, says to install windows to a new directory.
Thanks for the help and the floppy link. Cheers.Adrian

[DELETED] 01:12 11 Nov 2005

No problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

Meet Superfiction, the little design studio with a load of character

Best Mac buying guide 2018

Comment résoudre les problèmes de connexion internet d’un iPhone ?