Scanning is taking too long

ponytail 10:04 29 Jun 2018

I have just had to scan four A4 size documents and it is taking about four minutes per page to scan when it should scan a page in a few seconds so something is not right.My OS is Windows 7 64bit.Can anyone suggest anything I can try.Thanks

ponytail 10:21 29 Jun 2018

I was doing the scan on my laptop which is upstairs so I took it downstairs and connected it to the router with a ethernet cable and scanned again and this time it took under twenty seconds to scan a page.I know using the laptop without it being connected to the router will make it a bit slower but four minutes is a lot.Also going into a website is slow upstairs but downstairs is much faster.

wee eddie 10:36 29 Jun 2018

What type of Scanner are you using and what type of connections does it have. Upstairs and Downstairs

Forum Editor 10:37 29 Jun 2018

"I was doing the scan on my laptop"

Not on a scanner? I'm not sure I understand - what are you using to scan the documents?

ponytail 13:24 29 Jun 2018

I am using the scanner on my Brother DCP-J315W printer.It is wireless upstairs and downstairs I connected it to the router with a ethernet cable

wee eddie 13:54 29 Jun 2018

Where's the Printer/Scanner

Forum Editor 14:29 29 Jun 2018

Right, so you are trying to scan wirelessly from your laptop to the printer/scanner, which is connected to your router.

As you already know, scanning via a wireless connection will generally take longer, and it will take longer still if the scan is in colour - the file size will be larger.

Router settings can also affect scanning speeds - which make and model do you have?

BT 18:01 29 Jun 2018

My Epson Printer/Scanner is connected wirelessly to my Network and a scan only takes about 6 seconds (preview) and 7 seconds (Scan) for a colour scan on my WinXP desktop connected to the router by ethernet cable.

On my Win10 laptop connected wirelssly the preview is about 9 seconds and the Scan about 16 seconds

lotvic 19:37 29 Jun 2018

Also going into a website is slow upstairs but downstairs is much faster.

Seems to confirm it - your WiFi connection upstairs is, errmm, not very good

ponytail 06:59 30 Jun 2018

The printer/scanner is upstairs

lotvic 13:13 30 Jun 2018

Are these statements correct?

1. The Router is downstairs.
  2. When the Scanner/printer is upstairs it is connected to the downstairs Router via WiFi.
  3. When laptop is upstairs it is connected to the downstairs router via WiFi.
  4. When the laptop and scanner/printer are upstairs they are not connected to each other via their own WiFi.
  5. You are scanning wirelessly from your laptop to the printer/scanner, which is connected to your router

Conclusion: If the above statements are correct, see response from Forum Editor 14:29 29 Jun 2018

Summary: The upstairs laptop will send scan command via WiFi to the downstairs Router > the downstairs Router will send the scan command back upstairs to the upstairs Scanner/Printer > the Scanner/Printer will send the resulting scan image back downstairs via WiFi to the Router > the downstairs router will send the scan image back upstairs via WiFi to the laptop.

If that's not right then I have completely misunderstood what's happening.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

This graphic novel uses AR to blur the lines between cartoon, comic and video game

How to watch Apple's October 2018 iPad launch

Comment d├ęsinstaller des applications sur un Mac ?