SCANNING OLD TRANSPARENCIES

Glen 20:59 04 May 2005

I have an excellent Visioneer One touch 5600 (42 bit) scanner with Paperport software, but it does not have a transparency adaptor. Is it possible to make one? I have a lot of old 35mm
slides, but do not want to spend a lot of money on the hardware.

Glen

Technotiger 21:04 04 May 2005

Hi, if your scanner is not made to scan transparencies, then no I do not think a home-made adapter would work.

Scanners that have this capability have come down in price quite a lot these days - not as expensive as you might think.

Cheers.

Totally-braindead 21:20 04 May 2005

I did find a website that said you could make a simple transparancy adaptor, I made it and tried it. To be honest the result was total rubbish, I only had a few pics to do so I just went down to my local photo shop and got them to do it. More expensive I know but if your scanner isn't designed to scan slides then the results won't be very good.

carper 10:38 05 May 2005

I've had decent results by showing on a decent screen and then photographing with my digital camera. Not as good as a proper adaptor but certainly acceptable. Regards Carper

pj123 11:09 05 May 2005

I also found a website showing a DIY adapter (possibly the same one as Totally-braindead) and agree it was total rubbish. I now have an Epson 3170 photo scanner complete with neg and slide adapters. Good results.

click here

pj123 11:15 05 May 2005

Sorry, hit the post button too soon.

Also this might be of interest.

Primefilm dedicated 35mm film/slide scanner from Jessops as an addition to your flatbed scanner.

click here

I have one of these as well, but haven't used it for a long time since I got my Epson scanner. Again good results.

961 14:01 05 May 2005

I got the prime film/slide scanner from Jessops as detailed by pj123 and can confirm that it does a good job, far and away better than any other solution, and the software works too

I realise its £100 but it does the job

Wak 15:53 05 May 2005

Hi Glen, I don't know if this is the same thing which Totally Braindead made but I have a drawing of how to make a triangular reflective shield out of white cardboard which is supposed to make the scanning of 35mm film possible with an ordinary flatbed scanner.
I have uploaded this to click here if you wish to see it.
I have never tried it but it seems logical and may be worth wasting a bit of cardboard??

Border Collie 16:42 05 May 2005

The route I took was to purchase an Epson Perfection 2489 Photo scanner. You can scan slides and black and white or colour transparences as well as the normal stuff. You can buy one for about £75 to £80. You can use completely automatic mode which detects whether you have transparences or slides etc. I found it speeded things up by using manual mode. Excellent results.

Border Collie 16:42 05 May 2005

The route I took was to purchase an Epson Perfection 2489 Photo scanner. You can scan slides and black and white or colour transparences as well as the normal stuff. You can buy one for about £75 to £80. You can use completely automatic mode which detects whether you have transparences or slides etc. I found it speeded things up by using manual mode. Excellent results.

pj123 17:11 05 May 2005

The drawing that Wak has put up a link to is the one that I tried. Nice idea but it didn't work.

Alternatively, my local camera shop will put 36 slides on to CD for £9.99. 37 upwards are charged at 20p each and the CD will hold 120 images. So £10 to start and then £6 for every further 30 ordered at the same time. Try your local camera shop or click here for mine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?