Scan shows DNS Hijack. How to fix.

bionicle 21:40 28 May 2018
Answered

I have a Windows 10 PC and when I run 'smart scan' on Avast free it identifies network issues. The router is listed as okay however it identifies my PC as not configured correctly.It states Hijacked domain onclickads.net and popcash.net and vulnerability ID HNS-DNS-HIJACK. The recommendation is to reset your local machines DNS server settings. Any advice on how I should do this? Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:42 28 May 2018
  bionicle 22:14 28 May 2018

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/. Tried resetting as described but it just reverts back to previous setting every time I close it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:24 28 May 2018

Then you need to scan for malware that's resetting it

Windows 10:

1. Click on the Start button (or press the Windows key) to open the Start menu, click on the Settings at the top.
  2. Click on App & features on the left menu.
  3. On the right side, locate Onclickads.net and click it, then click on the Uninstall button.
  4. Click on Uninstall to confirm.

Suggest you scan with Malwarebyes and ADWcleaner the first is a trial version that will revert to the free version after 39 days the second is free - both from the same company but you need both to find both malwareand browser adons that have hijacked yor machine.

rdave13 23:56 28 May 2018

Reboot router and get rid of Avast . Find a better AV.

bionicle 20:43 29 May 2018

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/. I regularly use Malawarebytes free and Superantispyware free. I also have installed Heimdal Security Pro and have e-mailed them this evening as it may be that my internet traffic is being run through their servers in order for their security to work. Do you think this could be what's happening? My internet is running fine with no dodgy results, pop ups or re-directs.

rdave13 00:07 30 May 2018

Check your router's DNS settings. Should be your ISP's default. You can change it to Google or another server. Suggest that Avast is showing a false positive.

Secret-Squirrel 08:56 30 May 2018

Tried resetting as described but it just reverts back to previous setting every time I close it.

What are the IP addresses for those DNS servers? It may be nothing sinister.

bionicle 09:55 30 May 2018
Answer

Thanks all. Seems to be set to filter connections through Heimdal Pro program which I installed on my PC. I think the Avast result is a false positive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Artist Yippie Hey on 3D printing a futuristic magazine cover

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comparatif : PS4 vs Nintendo Switch