scam turned off the wifi adaptor

howard64 17:43 11 Jan 2018

woman clicked on link and scam locked off the wifi - she phoned the number but luckily put the phone down when asked for money. Unable to switch it back on. Running windows 10 1709. Airplane mode is on and cannot turn it off. Have gone into services and turned WLAN to automatic and started it but still no joy. Any suggestions before I do a clean install?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:31 11 Jan 2018

Is this a desktop, Laptop, tablet or windows phone?

Some ideas click here

howard64 20:05 11 Jan 2018

Asus laptop - tried all ways to get airplane mode off - failed - right clicked on wifi and enable - no joy. Somehow the scammer has turned off ethernet, broadband and wifi. It is looking more than likely I will have to do a clean install.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:33 11 Jan 2018

Go into device manager and see if the network drivers are disabled.

howard64 20:44 11 Jan 2018

I have fixed it - I went into services and set most of the disabled to automatic and running. The laptop is now connected to wifi. Thanks for suggestions.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:43 11 Jan 2018

click here this shows which services should be set to Automatic, manual disabled etc.

howard64 08:51 12 Jan 2018

thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ this will be useful for - I don't get on here as much as I used to - that's the problem with retirement - no free time

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple