Saving Windows XP Service Pack 3

SallyC 14:27 17 May 2010

Can anyone tell me how to save Windows Service Pack 3 - I have spent all morning trying to save rather than download but not getting anywhere. Every time I click the link it starts to download automatically.

onthelimit 14:39 17 May 2010

I just tried, and it will save from click here

wee eddie 15:01 17 May 2010

Why do you wish to do this?

SP3 is unlikely to cause you any problems and you are putting your security at risk by going on-line without it.

Proclaimer 23:04 17 May 2010

on a CD if you want to have it on disc.

gengiscant 08:12 18 May 2010

I can send you a copy on CD if you want, just get in touch through the yellow envelope.

johndrew 10:37 19 May 2010

The MS download is available from click here. Is this the link you were using?

If you click on "Download" it will take you to a further page which tells you the download is for multi PC users - this is not a problem. If the download doesn`t start automatically (it often doesn`t) click on "Start Download" (4th line down LH side). A window should open asking if you want to run or save - select "Save" and provide a location on your PC if you haven`t done so already.

The download is big - 316MB or thereabouts - and will take some time so be patient.

Taff™ 11:51 19 May 2010

click here will link to the official MS download of an ISO image of their SP3 disk. I have used this several times on other XP computers to upgrade them without any problems.

SallyC 13:18 19 May 2010

Sorry for the silence - I've been working. The reason why I wanted to save the SP3 files is because it would not load automatically from updates - kept stopping half way through & giving an error message. Reading previous posts re SP3 the advice was to save the files on desktop, shut everything down, disable firewalls & anti-virus & anti spyware - Comodo, AVG & Superantispyware in my case - & then load SP3.
So thanks for the links & when I get over working nights I will try it again.

wee eddie 13:45 19 May 2010

I hate to admit this, and I'm sure that all those "Experts" out there will think the less of me for it, but I let "Automatic Updates do the work. I've not yet had a problem, since '96 anyway.

It appears to be able to accept that a particular file may not be downloaded in a single session and does not need to restart the file, at its beginning, every time you log-out without completing the download.

SallyC 18:13 19 May 2010

Hi wee eddie
I also let automatic updates do the work but SP3 hasn't loaded properly through that route for more than a year, that's why I'm looking for an alternative post reinstallation of my operating system.

wee eddie 18:21 19 May 2010

Taff™'s suggestion of downloading the 'iso' file and writing it to disk before reloading it to your PC should do the trick.

It will also give you a Hard Copy, that you can keep and use again & again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Artist Helen Friel on designing paper models for everyone to make

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts