Saving outlook express letters

dfb70uk 11:16 08 Nov 2006

I have got to reinstall Windows xp. My wife bless her heart has maases of letters she wants to keep and hasn't backed them up to a file in a another partition. Is they a way to keep these simply and not have to move each separately?
Help would be most welcome.
Regards
David

johndrew 11:32 08 Nov 2006

I presume you are using OE.

Go to `Start>Search` type in `*.dbx` into `all or part of the filename` ensure you are searching the partition with `Program Files` on it and then press `Search`.

You will get a list of `.dbx` files. Identify the root file (something like C:\Documents and Settings\????\Local Settings\Application Data\Identitities\{ANNNNNd-NNNN-NNNNNNNNNNN}\Microsoft\Outlook Express) which is normally hidden. Copy this file to somewhere safe and you have all the e-mails.

For the future you could always back them up using something like Acronis True Image. This can be set up as a single button press function and you can reistall wherever you want.

dfb70uk 22:17 08 Nov 2006

Thanks Johndrew,
I thought I needed dbx files but didn't know how to find them. Sorry ment to mention OE.
Thanks again
David

Stuartli 22:59 08 Nov 2006

With all Microsoft products there is a very comprehensive Help file.

In the case of Outlook Express if you key in Export or Import (Messages) there is a full description of how to do it...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough fights back against sexual misconduct

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Espace de stockage : comment libérer de la mémoire sur votre iPhone ?