Saving Linksys WEP settings

ruskle 20:59 12 Apr 2006

I have been using a Linksys WAG54G modem Router for years and have not bothered with any security. Now my only next door neighbour for miles (an old lady) has departed and a younger couple have moved in. I decided to go for a bit of security and have entered a WEP key, reconnecting via the cable to set it up and then going back to Wi Fi. I had to manually enter the code and wonder if there is a way to save it in my Laptop and not hve to enter it each time I bring the lappy home and log on. The lappy has no internet settings on, only a link to my home or office Wi Fi.

Russell.

ade.h 21:34 12 Apr 2006

Firstly, I have to say that the likelyhood of this couple being disohnest is reasonably slim and the chance of them knowing how to crack WEP would be a bit slimmer. But...

...it is so easy to do that I would never recommend that anyone use WEP when WPA-PSK is vastly stronger and more convenient.

mgmcc 08:41 13 Apr 2006

In your wireless adapter's software, it should be possible to save the connection between the laptop and router as a "profile", so that the encryption key doesn't need to be entered each time. Profiles can be saved for both your office and home connections.

ruskle 11:03 13 Apr 2006

Thanks for the replies.
I switched on my home Wi Fi and Laptop for a few moments this morning and didn't need to enter the code again, is it needed only when reinstalling the software? I will try the WPA-PSK when I get back home. I have had the laptop between our properties and also my front drive and get no signal from my home Wi Fi router so I suppose I am safe anyway.
Anymore comments before I tick resolved?

Thanks again.

Russell.

ruskle 14:39 13 Apr 2006

I have now setup my security using WPA-PSK as ade.h suggested and after switching off my laptop and office router then back on again everything is running smooth. Seems that it easier than I first though so I will do the same at home.
Thanks chaps.

Russell.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)