Sandisk: USB 3.0 Write Speeds

Declanworld 12:52 21 May 2018

I've been communicating with Sandisk about the performance of my Ultra Fit 64GB flash drive.

I got a write speed of only 17MB/s on an 11.5GB file transfer.

Sandisk claim that this is 'well within the (unpublished)specifications'.

any thoughts?

beeuuem~2 17:44 21 May 2018

It is always wise to try to find the read /write speed data before buying. That is said as I've had the same type of problem myself, it isn't intended as a criticism.

I have so called USB 3.0 flash drives that have write speeds that are slower then standard USB 2.0 drives.

A Kingston USB 2.0 drive drive gives read'write speeds of 18MB/s - 10.5MB/s

A USB 3.0 16Gb Kingston Data Traveler gives read write/speeds of 132MB/s and 8.4MB/s

On the other hand CrystalDisk reports my Sandisk Extreme 64Gb as having read /write speeds of 200MB/s and 180Mb/s respectively.

rdave13 18:06 21 May 2018

I've got the SanDisk Ultra 128 GB USB 3.0, exactly as the video shows, youtube , it's ok but speed always takes a dive. Copying windows iso (3.6 GB) starts off at 64 MB/s then dives to around 24 MB/s. Gave up saving a Macrium image on it as it crawled to a virtual stop. Might try formatting it to NTFS instead of exFAT but don't know if that will make any difference.

1]: [click here

rdave13 18:17 21 May 2018

USBDeview speed test,

Declanworld 13:14 22 May 2018

Sandisk refused to budge, merely mentioning the drives below as a solution:

'From the results you provided us, we can see that the write speed is 20MB/s on a USB 3.0 port. This is acceptable as the speed depends on more factors, as is your host device. Also, as mentioned before, we do not have any published write speeds for the Ultra USB's. We do have that information published for the Extreme Go 3.1 and the Extreme Pro 3.1'

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

FIFA 19 review

Design a vector map packed with creatures and landmarks

iPhone XS vs iPhone X: What is the difference?

Comment désactiver la lecture automatique des vidéos sur Chrome ?