samsung np350e won't boot from dvd

Richard Tinley 13:49 05 Jun 2017

Hi, The harddrive failed on my samsung laptop. I have installed a new drive but cannot but from the cd/dvd drive. Windows 10 was installed on the old laptop but I want to install ubuntu on the new one.

Any suggestions as to how I get the laptop to boot from the dvd?

MJS WARLORD 14:49 05 Jun 2017

keep tapping f8 as computer is starting up and when an options list comes up scroll down the list to highlight boot from disc and press enter .... note some machines such as packard bells use f5...

WARNING.... when you install unbuntu or any other linux software be careful when answering yes/no to partitions questions..... i answered yes to too many and completely destroyed windows but it was not a great loss as that pc was running vista anyway lol.

Archonar 15:36 05 Jun 2017

but it was not a great loss as that pc was running vista anyway lol

I think you could probably say that was actually an improvement!

As said mashing F8 as you startup will allow you to boot to the cd. I would say that a good way to get around the partition issue is to create the partition that you want to install linux to before the installation, that way you don't need to worry about deleting anything you don't want to.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:17 05 Jun 2017

Not sure where the vista and destroying windows comes from as op said its a new drive and win 10 was on old.

You may have to set the BIOS to boot from

legacy boot

before it will use the CD or USB to boot from.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple