Hot Topics

Samsung 24" monitor on its last legs?

compumac 09:18 24 Mar 2020

My Samsung 24" monitor is showing its age as I am unable to change the brightness of the screen. It seems that it takes a very long time to achieve anything like an acceptable level of brightness - like a 100 watt bulb now showing 60 watt.

Time for change - any suggestions?

Any advantage in a curved screen?

compumac 21:14 24 Apr 2020

Menzies

Thanks for that and yes, I do have access to another PC monitor that is currently being used by my daughter.

Will try that in the morning.

Appreciate that you had already suggested that avenue previously but at that time it had seemingly improved but now..........

compumac 21:15 24 Apr 2020

Menzies

Thanks for that and yes, I do have access to another PC monitor that is currently being used by my daughter.

Appreciate that you had already suggested that avenue previously but at that time it had seemingly improved but now..........

compumac 21:15 24 Apr 2020

Menzies

compumac 21:16 24 Apr 2020

I sneezed!

Menzie 22:59 24 Apr 2020

Ha ha ha :-)

compumac 09:17 25 Apr 2020

Menzies

Tried other screen this morning and works perfectly, so it would seem that it is the monitor.

Looked on Amazon for replacement and found that most are unavailable at this time.

I do not do gaming, and would welcome any suggestions from anyone as to a replacement.

Old Deuteronomy 09:24 25 Apr 2020

It seems that it takes a very long time to achieve anything like an acceptable level of brightness - like a 100 watt bulb now showing 60 watt.

That seems to me like CCFL (cold cathode fluorescent lamp) backlights on the way out, rather than any software related issue.

wee eddie 09:36 25 Apr 2020

When you tried the other monitor on your PC, did you try your monitor on her PC?

When it comes to buying a new Monitor, our recommendations should be treated with a pinch of sale.

In that statement I am not "dissing" my fellow Contributors but drawing to your attention to two points.

1) Most of us only have one monitor and are therefor rarely able to make a comparison.

2) Manufacturers change their Model Numbers as often as I change my Cravat! The same, Monitors frequently have a different Model Numbers, depending on which Chain of Retailers it passes through.

I have only 3 thoughts, based on bitter experiences:

1) Get a screen that is height adjustable.

2) Curved screens impress your mates but are not that easy to work with.

3) Get the biggest you feel you can afford, unless you are a Gamer or manipulating pictures, minor variations in colour reproduction and speed are largely irrelevant

compumac 10:01 25 Apr 2020

wee eddie

Have not tried my Screen on daughters PC, had not thought of that, will give it a try later today.

I would definitely concur with your final three points!

I cant even find my cravat, last seen circa 1985?

Old Deuteronomy 11:09 25 Apr 2020

Further to wee eddie's very good points, also buy the best you can afford, put your eyes first.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Save a staggering 82% when you upgrade to Windows 10 Pro now

Akira art show continues in absence of virus-hit Olympics

Annoying bug makes Mail gatecrash your Mac screen

French Days 2020 : dates, sites participants & bons plans