Hot Topics

Safe to Turn Off CPU fan monitor?

Joe G 16:16 24 Mar 2020

I have a PC with an ASUS Motherboard running Windows 10 on an i5 2,500k CPU @3.30Ghz

I've had the computer for about 7 years with no problems (touch wood!) except from the occasional warning message at Boot Up 'American Megatrends CPU Fan Disc Error - Press F1 to continue' This takes me into the BIOS where I simply either Save and Exit or Discard Changes and Exit and the PC boot up fine.

Since I have recently added a Samsung T5 external SSD to a USB port as a data drive the message comes up almost every time I boot up (I really can't see the connection there but that's what has happened)

Looking round the web I have noticed a few people have this problem and a number of videos showing how to disable the CPU fan monitor. I'm a bit reluctant to do this for obvious reasons. Can anyone advise if this is a safe thin to do or should I just put up with the slight inconvenience on boot up?

Appreciate any advice!

Joe G 15:31 25 Mar 2020

Thanks - just rebooted and looked into the BIOS again and found it had CPU Q Fan enabled. I've tried reducing the monitor warning speed from 600 RPM 300 RPM as that was suggested on one of the pages I was looking at - if that doesn't work I'll have a look inside though I am a little unconfident doing that - I've swapped RAM & SSD's over but nothing more technical than that!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:17 25 Mar 2020

Q fan will slow it down to keep it quieter so may be worth disabling q fan.

Joe G 17:24 25 Mar 2020

Thanks I will try that too! Appreciate the help!

Joe G 17:06 26 Mar 2020

First boot up after disabling Q fan was fine - didn't go into the American Megatrends screen though of course fan noise has increased significantly.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:21 26 Mar 2020

Hope that's sorted it then if you can put up with the noise

or as I said earlier open the box and clean the fan blades and heatsink

wee eddie 19:55 26 Mar 2020

My preferred cleaning tools are a 1/2 inch (Natural Bristle) Paint Brush, a Hair Drier, and a sunny day, outdoors

Joe G 20:18 26 Mar 2020

Thanks very much - I'm sure it does need a clean - never been cleaned in about 7 years I have had it! Might have to pluck up courage. Odd that the problem became more persistent after I attached an external SSD as it's not in the way of anything

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Save a staggering 82% when you upgrade to Windows 10 Pro now

Akira art show continues in absence of virus-hit Olympics

Annoying bug makes Mail gatecrash your Mac screen

French Days 2020 : dates, sites participants & bons plans