Running windows 7 with external HDD fault with internet

catpwss 19:53 16 Nov 2014

Hi all.Can someone please help out with this problem,Every time I connect my external HDD to make a backup,This ex HDD in in a caddy powered by mains and connected to the desktop via usb cable. Now the problem is as soon as I start the backup to the ex hdd the internet gets knocked off no access with internet at all not even on a laptop down stairs,As soon as I disconnect the ex hdd within a few mins the internet is back on. Can anyone assist with this Please.It's a bit of a pain the only way I get around this is to do the backup during the night when we don't need the internet. Many thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:24 16 Nov 2014

What backup program are you using.

catpwss 21:44 16 Nov 2014

Microsoft sync toy

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:29 16 Nov 2014

Have you tried a different backup program?

catpwss 09:02 17 Nov 2014

No I haven't tried another program. Before I start the program the prob starts,As soon as I connect the ext hdd the icon near the clock goes with a little yellow exclamation on it. What I did last night did my backup with the ethernet cable out from the desktop tower. I would like to know what is really causing this prob,I know its not a major prob but its bit of a pain to get behind the tower to pull cable out. Many Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:20 17 Nov 2014

what op system and which icon? assume you mean network icon of two screens?

catpwss 11:31 17 Nov 2014

Hi I'm running windows 7 home premium And the icon left to the clock it looks similar to a tv screen when I connect the ext drive a little yellow comes on that little screen stating no internet connection then when I disconnect the hdd the icon comes back to normal. Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6 review

Procreate's iPhone app offers new brushes, a larger canvas and better support for the iPhone 8/X

Best multi-room speakers for iPhone & Mac owners

Streaming : comment regarder le lancement de Xiaomi en France ?