Hot Topics

Running 16-bit code on a 64-bit Windows 10 system

tallboy 23:38 03 Jan 2020

Call me 'old fashioned' if you like, but I still have (and use daily!) a Psion PDA. Up until today, when I decided to do a 'clean' install of my 64-bit Windows 10 system (which hadn't been re-built since Windows 10 came out), I regularly backed up my Psion PDA using the PsiWin software that was designed to run on 32-bit Windows XP systems. This installed without any problem on previous 64-bit versions of Windows 10 and still worked on the latest 1909 version.

Now, after the 'clean' install of Windows 10, I am re-installing the applications I need. However, when I try to install PsiWin it gets so far before an error message reports that it is unable to install / run the section that uses 16-bit code. I believe that I may be able to run it on a virtual system using a Hyper-V Core. If anyone can suggest the best solution to the problem, (such as what Virtual program to use & how to install it) please let me know.

p.s. I do recall years ago having a Virtual XP system running on my 32-bit Windows 7 PC and PsiWin running on that. Is there a similar option for 64-bit Windows 10?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:22 04 Jan 2020

Run it in VirtualBox

Jollyjohn 10:32 04 Jan 2020

I agree, use Virtualbox. I have a question about how the Psion connects to the computer, is it just a USB cable?

tallboy 14:56 04 Jan 2020

Thanks for the suggestion Fruit Bat /\0/\ & Jollyjohn, I'll give VirtualBox a try & report back here.

The Psion (which sits on a dedicated connection cradle when next my PC) connects via a RS232C to USB converter device, so it's very easy. If you are interested, Nick at PsionEx (click here runs a good business serving Psion users. You can still buy re-furbished Psion Revos & even get Psion 3A's repaired by his team!

Jollyjohn 18:30 04 Jan 2020

Excellent. VirtualBox should work for you. You will need to install the extensions pack, I think you are prompted to do this. Once the virtual PC has booted install the additions cd and you will get USB connectivity. What VirtualBox cannot do is use some hardware, eg. a TV tuner card, installed in the host PC.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

5 video games we want to see as movies

You've watched Parasite, now read the storyboards in comic book form

The best games on Apple Arcade

Les meilleures lumières connectées (2020)