Run ScanDisk and defrag at night

TommyRed 13:42 10 Sep 2003

How/can I get my PC to run ScanDisk and Defrag at night when I'm not on the PC. I only ever remember to do it when I want to go on it. Does it start and turn off on its own. Plus can you run one after the other and does the monitor need to be on, and as I normally run ScanDisk and Defrag in 'Safe' mode can this also be accomodated? My OS is 98SE ,TR

Confab 14:18 10 Sep 2003

Think you'll find it under start/programs/accessories/system tools/maintenance wizard. If you run this then you can set up scanDisk and Defrag and delete temp files to run when you're fast asleep. The pc needs to be on and there is no guarantee they will work if other apps are running in the background.

Confab 14:20 10 Sep 2003

Also the monitor can be switched off. Give it a try when your awake and see what happens. If all is ok then set it up to work at night.

Regards

Djohn 14:22 10 Sep 2003

Start/Programs/accessories/System tools/Scheduled task. will do what you want. Don't think you can ask it to switch to safe mode though. But if doing it over-night then it can be left in normal mode anyway, just switch off the screensaver. Hope this is of help. j.

Djohn 14:24 10 Sep 2003

Sorry Confab, you managed to get two post in while I was typing one! I forgot to refresh before posting. :o(

golfpro 14:40 10 Sep 2003

I tried this, Scan Disc is there but defrag is missing from the wizzard menue for some reason.

TommyRed 14:48 10 Sep 2003

Confab, think I'll try the maintenance wizard, but it only gives a 3 hour window (midnight to 3.00am). What happens if I'm doing a thorough Scandisk and a Defrag, that'll be normally over 3 hours, does it carry on until it's finished?
Djohn, does the PC need to be left on or will it start up itself, to use Scheduled Tasks? TR

Djohn 15:22 10 Sep 2003

You will need to leave the PC on, but as Confab says you can turn off the monitor. When Scheduled task has finished it will leave your PC running, but as no activity is taking place, the power requirements will be minimal and no harm will be caused in any way. Many people do this "Overnight" maintenance to avoid "downtime" during the day. j.

Confab 16:45 10 Sep 2003

The 3 hour window just relates to the start time so the process will continue untill its finished even if it takes over three hours. Sometimes its unable to complete the process if applications are running in the background so it might be a good idea to end task on all running apps except explore when you know the wizard is to run overnight.

Confab

TommyRed 16:49 10 Sep 2003

Thanks for the input, chaps. TR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?