Hot Topics

Rs232 to USB cable problem

newface 17:31 28 Mar 2009

I bought a hand held scanner which had a female 9 pin connector. My laptop only had a 15 pin rs232 connector. As I had spare usb ports I got a USB cable that had a male 9 pin attachment at one end. I also downloaded some drivers for HL-340. When the cable is attached it shows up as com4 usb-serial ch340 usb2.0-ser!. When I run the software associated with the scanner, a light on it flashes, but nothing else happens.
Does anyone have any idea if I am using the combination of cables etc?

newface 16:39 02 Apr 2009

Hi Poitier, the reason I bought the null adapter was because the scanner was not working when attached via the USB port. I bought the adapter just in case there was some sort of mix up over the transmit / receive, but the problem seems to lie a little deeper. All the FAQ pages say that it is possible to attach this device via a USB slot even though it was origionally designed to attach via COM1.

newface 19:37 11 Apr 2009

First off I'd like to thank all those people who took the time to post a response to this query.
I eventually decided to bite the bullet and bought a PCI I/O serial port card for my PC. It worked first time, and I can download data from the scanner. I will just have to save the data onto data stick and transfer it to the laptop.

Once again thanks to everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Black Shark 3 review

Free Old Images and Photos: 14 Best Sites for Free Vintage Photos and Artworks

Apple's Tim Cook commits to addressing racial inequalities

Comment s├ęcuriser une connexion au Wi-Fi public ?