Hot Topics

Rs232 to USB cable problem

newface 17:31 28 Mar 2009

I bought a hand held scanner which had a female 9 pin connector. My laptop only had a 15 pin rs232 connector. As I had spare usb ports I got a USB cable that had a male 9 pin attachment at one end. I also downloaded some drivers for HL-340. When the cable is attached it shows up as com4 usb-serial ch340 usb2.0-ser!. When I run the software associated with the scanner, a light on it flashes, but nothing else happens.
Does anyone have any idea if I am using the combination of cables etc?

mgmcc 22:25 28 Mar 2009

If the port on the Laptop is an RS232 Serial port, are you sure it isn't 25-pin male?

You should be able to get a 25-pin female to 9-pin male RS232 Serial Cable to connect the laptop and scanner directly. Have a look at this page click here

newface 14:29 30 Mar 2009

mgmcc thanks for your response. However, last night it occured to me that I probably need a null modem adapter to go between the USB cable and the serial port on the laptop.
I have just ordered one today, and will post again if it solves problem.
Cheers.

woodchip 15:09 30 Mar 2009

Make sure Com Ports are Enabled in BIOS

mgmcc 15:11 30 Mar 2009

OK, but a Null Modem adapter/cable would normally be used when connecting two computers directly via their Serial Ports, rather than when connecting a peripheral to a PC. However, let's hope it does sort the problem.

T0SH 15:57 30 Mar 2009

The 15 pin female D type connector on a laptop will be the VGA output for an external monitor or a projector, not a serial port

Cheers HC

newface 16:38 30 Mar 2009

Many thanks to all of you who have taken the time to post a reponse. I will take on board all of your comments and post the outcome here when the adapter arrives.

newface 11:41 02 Apr 2009

Ok, here's the situation as it stands. The null modem 9 pin arrived yesterday. I have just attached it and tried to use the scanner. My hardware configuration shows that there is now a COM6, but when I run the software to use the scanner I get a message to check whether the scanner is attached or powered on.

Has anyone got any ideas?

mgmcc 13:59 02 Apr 2009

If the scanner hardware has installed on COM6, is there anything in the software to configure the serial port to use?

newface 15:02 02 Apr 2009

Hello mgmcc. Yes the software seems to detect which of the USB ports the cable is connected into. I can move the cable into any of the 3 USB slots and the system allocates it as COM4, 5 or 6 accordingly.
I have also noticed that when the USb to 9d pin cable is connected to the cable that came with the scanner, a light on the scanner will flash once when I ttry to download. This does not happen when the null modem is attached in between them.
I hope that this makes sense to you.

newface 16:39 02 Apr 2009

Hi Poitier, the reason I bought the null adapter was because the scanner was not working when attached via the USB port. I bought the adapter just in case there was some sort of mix up over the transmit / receive, but the problem seems to lie a little deeper. All the FAQ pages say that it is possible to attach this device via a USB slot even though it was origionally designed to attach via COM1.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to work from your garden on a laptop more effectively

What if subjects of iconic paintings practised social distancing?

MacBook Air (2020) review: More bang for your buck

Les meilleures séries Amazon Prime Video (2020)