Rows of spots before my eyes!!

Sapins 22:26 30 Nov 2003

Last week I decided to switch to XP Home on my dual boot set-up and also I have had to buy a new monitor this week.
I have screen saver set to cut in after 1 minute. On Friday when I was dragging a small window inside a larger one rows of Red dots started covering the screen and they remained on the screen until I closed the open windows, I restarted and everything appeared normal. Today about 15 minutes after screen saver activated 2 rows of Blue and Green dots appeared along the bottom of the screen and after a further few minutes another line appeared along the top then another line in the middle, there may be more lines if I leave it longer. No dots are visible on the "active" screen only when screen saver is on.Any ideas on what could be wrong please.

Regards,

Sapins

[DELETED] 22:36 30 Nov 2003

Does it only do it with SS or does it do it when running video/games etc?

[DELETED] 22:39 30 Nov 2003

Memory problems on the graphics card, most likely. But also try making sure you have the latest drivers for the motherboard and graphics.

Sapins 22:59 30 Nov 2003

Hi Chegs ® and DieSse, talk about fate, just as I was typing my response the computer crashed, I got the XP has detected and recovered from a serious problem etc: I have saved the Crash Analysis Report and it says the fault was probably caused by Video Driver (3DFXVSM.DLL) so that looks like the answer. What do I do now?

Sapins 23:03 30 Nov 2003

I'm still getting over the shock of the "CRASH" and they say XP is more stable, I havn't had a crash with 98SE in three and a half years!

Sapins 23:05 30 Nov 2003

Sorry Chegs ® forgot to answer you, the dots appear sometimes no matter what I am running.

[DELETED] 23:10 30 Nov 2003

It does look like its Graphics card driver trouble.Try updating them,and also try altering the Display Timing,I got a similar prob with a GF2 card in XP Pro,just after XP came out and altering the setting from Win Managed to one of the others got everything running well again.

Sapins 23:20 30 Nov 2003

Can you tell me how to upgrade the Graphics card driver please Chegs ®, the error report says the card maker was taken over by NVIDIA Corporation in 2001, will their site have updated drivers? and how do I alter the Display Timing?

Will have to leave this for tonight and look at it tomorrow, Thanks both of you for your help, much appreciated,

Regards,

Sapins

[DELETED] 23:21 30 Nov 2003

Sapins, sorry to butt into your thread. You've not had a crash in 3 half years!!!????

Under SE I reckoned on one about every 3 days. XP is similar, but it cheats, the screen goes dark and it just restarts so it hopes you don't notice. After a few of those (on a bad crash) it tells you its doing its scan disc thing, but to be fair this only happens about once a month.

For what it's worth, for your problem, my guess would be graphics card drivers.

Unbeliving Skeletal

[DELETED] 23:23 30 Nov 2003
  Sapins 23:25 30 Nov 2003

Hi skeletal, yes three and a half years it's true I swear.

Now it's goodnight from me and it's goodnight from her.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon Prime Day 2018: Best Deals & Launches

The humble pint glass is redesigned from bottoms up by design legend Sir Kenneth Grange

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Quel est le meilleur antivirus pour Windows ?