router or hub?

  bythor 07:24 06 Mar 2006

Hi. I currently have a Bt voyager wired router, connected to a netgear hub, into which my desktop and laptop connect for the internet.
To enable the laptop to use wireless, do I need to get a wireless router or wireless hub? what's the difference anyway! :>

  mgmcc 09:18 06 Mar 2006

You need to get either a "Wireless Router" or a "Wireless Access Point" which will plug into an ethernet port on your existing router to make it in effect a Wireless Router.

However, stand-alone Wireless Access Points tend to be expensive and it is often as cheap to get a Wireless Router (which in any case incorporates a Wireless Access Point!).

  bythor 17:19 06 Mar 2006

Thanks for that. I'll look into getting a router with wireless then. cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple