Router for Fibre Optic Connection

  Press Man 13:31 19 Oct 2010

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of changing over to Fibre Broadband (FTTC) and to do so I have to change from my current ADSL+2 Modem/Router which is supporting an ethernet network of 3 pc's, to a "Cable Router" as stated by my ISP (ADSL24) :- "Your existing ADSL or ADSL2+ router will not work with Fibre Broadband due to the new technology, so you will require a standard (non-ADSL) router (also known to as a 'Cable router') which you can then plug the provided VDSL2 modem into and share the connection on your network."
Can anyone suggest/recommend a suitable router that will alow me to continue to use my "wired" network?

  woodchip 18:21 20 Oct 2010

On our upgrade I think they are leaving the copper overhead lines from the pole in place but the rest will be Fibre. Also if they change it the ISP Provider is obligated to upgrade you, so you should not need to pay anything

  lotvic 18:54 20 Oct 2010

As far as I have found out you will need a new router if the one you have doesn't support PPPoE over a WAN port.
You plug the router into the VDSL modem.
I found this old thread on another forum click here

  Press Man 19:03 20 Oct 2010


I apppreciate your caution on this subject, I too was of a similar mind to start with. I think if you follow the link in my last but one post (if you hav'nt already) it may clear things up?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What to do if you're affected by the Intel Foreshadow flaw

A new magazine aims to educate kids about food with some very edgy artwork

iMac at 20: 10 iMac facts and history in pictures

TV & streaming : comment regarder l’US Open de tennis ?