rounded corners for images

kiz 21:42 28 May 2006

I am sure I am being really thick - but I want to have rounded corners for my images on my website and I cannot work out how to do it. I have photoshop CS and paint shop pro 9 and they both have round corner rectangle tools but I cannot work out how to do it. Can anyone help me?
thanks alot

Amadas 05:46 29 May 2006

Kiz,

Using photoshop, double click your image and rename it "layer 0" This will allow you to add a vector mask. Now go to "layer" then "add vector mask" and ensure you "reveal all". Notice on the layer you will now have a second icon with your image. Now go to the toolbar and select the "rounded rectangle tool". Now open up the rectangle until its just on the edge of your image. Once you release the mouse you will notice that your image has rounded corners and your background is transparent. You now add another layer, place it below your masked layer and call it background. While on your background layer, go to the color picker and choose the color you want to match your web page background. Resize the image to whatever size you desire and save it for web. Remember, compress it till it hurts.

Viola, you have a rounded image.

If you want to make some really eye appealling effects, while your on your layer 0, double click it to open up the layer style dialog box and give it a stroke or drop shadow effect.

Regards,
Amadas

kiz 08:02 29 May 2006

Thanks so much Amadas. I tried to work it out nearly all day yesterday, and you have sorted me out in ten minutes. Thank goodness for these forums. They are great.
Actually my big problem is understanding layers. I have followed the help in photoshop etc but get bogged down with the instructions. Yours were so much clearer. Have you got any reccommendations for sites where it is all spelled out (like your instructions) for idiots like me?!
Thanks again
Kiz

Forum Editor 08:39 29 May 2006
  kiz 09:21 29 May 2006

thanks alot

Amadas 03:44 30 May 2006

Kiz,
Glad I could help.

Here's a couple more very good PS tute sites.

click here
or
click here
or
click here

These sites are very good in that they bring it down to the lowest common denominator and use screenshots to help explain it more.

Regards,
Amadas

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts