barryhodges 16:37 16 Oct 2008

Can anyone tell me which connections must be connected of the 8 connectors in the RJ45 wall socket? I have run a cable to an outside building with wire that colours do not correspond to the wiring diagram. I know it doesnt matter so long as I connect say 1 to 1 and 2 to 2,and so on but I only have 5 wires in the cable and there are 8 connecters, so need to know which ones are necessary. I have connected the four on the left hand side to each other, but this does not work.

barryhodges 16:49 16 Oct 2008

Can you tell mw which ones these are, as they are not numbered. Does it go 1234 down the left and then 5678 down the right?

barryhodges 17:09 16 Oct 2008

looking at it from the back - 4 connections down the side with (descending) orange/white, orange, green/white, green under the heading B, then green/white, green, orange/white, orange under the heading A. then on the right hand side,4 more connections with, again descending, blue, blue/white, white/brown, brown.

wiz-king 17:19 16 Oct 2008
  barryhodges 17:21 16 Oct 2008

Thanks for your help - those are the four I have connected, but it doesn't work. could it be because I have used external BT Cable, rather than cat5 or 6?

barryhodges 17:26 16 Oct 2008

about 110 metres

barryhodges 17:36 16 Oct 2008

that is a pity. what about boosting the wireless signal? i have tried the latest bt hub and that is not strong enough

barryhodges 17:48 16 Oct 2008

or those things that are plugged into the wall?

Rahere 18:13 16 Oct 2008

The only thing that might come close is cat6 cable which is expensive - BT cable is no use at all for your purposes.

What about a homeplug system - this uses the mains wiring in your house to create a network and will be faster than wireless...

barryhodges 18:54 16 Oct 2008

thanks Rahere - how does a homeplug work? do I plug it into the mobile home plugs - they come off the same mains?

Rahere 20:17 16 Oct 2008

Yes they use the wiring in your house - have to be on the same circuit so check that. Homeplugs use a mains socket - they have an ethernet socket on the front - plug one near your router connect the router to the homeplug with a ethernet cable.

Plug another homeplug in the mains in the room where you want to work connect the computer to the homeplug with a ethernet cable.

there's usually a code to connect establish a link between them and you can buy/add more plugs most brands work ok with each other

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Artist Helen Friel on designing paper models for everyone to make

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts