jimmybond 14:53 08 Apr 2005

I'm off to the USA next week, and was hoping to be able to use my laptop over there - my hotel has a 'free modem connection' - is this likely to be a standard RJ-45 as per the UK? Also, power-wise: would i just need a 3-pin to 2-pin converter plug?


  SEASHANTY 14:59 08 Apr 2005

Never mind the pin sockets. Be aware the power in the USA is mostly 115V.A.C. not 230V.A.C. as here.
So if your equip uses a separate P.S.U. is will only deliver around half the power output or less.
You may need a 230V to 115V transformer.

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:34 08 Apr 2005

Check the power adaptor for your laptop Input must read something like

Input 100 - 220V AC

Output is Approx 19v adaptor takes care of the power requirements

If so all you will need is an adapter for the plug (two flat pins to three pin socket).

  SEASHANTY 16:30 08 Apr 2005

Ah - so that's how its done. The adaptor transformer must have a sensor for detecting the input voltage and regulate accordingly. Branches of Woolworths and similar stores usually stock sets of adaptors for use in various countries. Battery type stalls in markets etcetera. Even saw them in one of the local pound shops not that long ago. According to this Google webpage they use RJ45 connections
click here

  jimmybond 16:33 08 Apr 2005

thanks for the info guys! - I think I know what to look for now

  woodchip 16:34 08 Apr 2005

Not all laptops are like that so beware

  woodchip 16:37 08 Apr 2005

Check the volts on the AC adapter with your Laptop my Adapter is 100 to 240v ac at 2amp

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Honor 9 Lite review

How Social Media has Propelled Political Graphic Design and Art in the Last Decade

The best kids apps for iPhone & iPad 2018

HomePod d’Apple : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique