right to reply on threads

TBH1 21:38 19 Oct 2003

have just been reading this
click here

then notice I can't reply to it - - - does this mean that when ever we upset the apple-cart, we get locked ??

This thread, I believe, a genuine 'criticism' of new format, a constructive criticism in my opinion. Why not let it run ???

Kitz E Kat 22:03 19 Oct 2003

Dunno.....
Sound reasonable to me...
Kitz E Kat

mark e 22:26 19 Oct 2003

my comment to that thread was deleted????

I never swore or used offensive language that I am aware of

but someone never liked it

Mark

Legolas 22:27 19 Oct 2003

As PC Advisor own the site and employ the FE they would argue that it is up to them what threads are allowed to continue and what threads are closed, it is entirely at the FE,s discretion.

I am stating the situation as it stands and not if I believe this is right or wrong but after two and a half years of coming to this site I now just except that is the way it is run.

Anything for an easy life....I must be getting old.

The Spires 23:14 19 Oct 2003

Answer any questions you can, log off.

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:52 19 Oct 2003

There were already a couple of threads on the same subject, so locking the thread will prevent the usual 'groundhog day' chain of events. Having a thread locked should not be the end of the world to normal people as there are much more pressing things to worry about.

G

Forum Editor 00:22 20 Oct 2003

The reason the thread was lockedwas because it had started to degenerate into a silly conversation about different kinds of toilet paper. What you can't see are the several posts that I deleted - all of them were a complete waste of time and space, and nothing whatsoever to do with "a genuine 'criticism' of new format".

Time and again the same thing happens, and time and again it's necessary to make the same point - we're here to help with computer problems, not to make schoolboy-level posts about toilet paper.

Each time we lock such a thread, or delete a similar one we get emails from other forum members, thanking us for maintaining our high standards. We think we're on the right track here, and once we start to compromise we'll be on the slippery slope. We know, becuase we've seen it happen elsewhere.

spikeychris 08:18 20 Oct 2003

click here for something remarkably similar.

TBH1 10:25 20 Oct 2003

I'll get me coat then :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?