Right click word on firefox to search is lost.

bristolgirl 15:44 08 Jun 2006

Hi I asked on MozillaZine forum for help on this.

On a page, on the firefox broswser, if I was interested in something, I used to be able to highlight it, right click it and one of the options was "search web for......". This would then open a new browser, in tabs, showing relevant links on the google home page.

I seem to have lost this facility and would dearly love it back.

A great guy on MozillaZine has been really helpful and said that it's built in functionality and I must have disabled it somehow. Probably by adding extensions, using a userChrome.css? (I haven't a clue what this is).

He advised me to make a new profile and copy over my existing one. This terrifies me and I know that I will get into a realy pickle if I start doing anything like this.

Does anyone else have any ideas how I can get this facility back? It is still there in the drop down menu when I right click but it just won't perfrom the fuction.

Thanks - from the terrified!!

VoG II 15:50 08 Jun 2006

How to create a new profile click here

bristolgirl 15:53 08 Jun 2006

VoG, you are always really hepful to me but is there any other way of retrieving this without having to create a new profile?

Thanks

VoG II 15:57 08 Jun 2006

You could go to Tools > Extensions, click on each in turn and click Uninstall. Then close and restart Firefox.

However, if it was that simple I would have thought the guy at MozillaZine would have suggested it.

bristolgirl 16:07 08 Jun 2006

Thanks VoG but I have given that a go but no luck. Do you think that I'm going to have to do this profile thing?

VoG II 16:09 08 Jun 2006

It looks like it - I don't think it is terribly difficult.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts