right click from keyboard (not using mouse)

Carafaraday 09:47 09 Aug 2008

Is there a simple way to use the keyboard to right click the screen (ie part of a webpage) without using a mouse?

crosstrainer 09:48 09 Aug 2008

It's possible to do it all without a rodent :)

click here

Carafaraday 10:12 09 Aug 2008

Crosstrainer, thank you for the link. I was aware of the shift F10 combination, but that just gives the opportunity to select the full page - I am trying to select just the centre bit of a web page. Possibly like selecting just the question and answer bit of this page...............If you right click, then print, you only get the bit you want, I think.

Chris the Ancient 11:22 09 Aug 2008

Most modern keyboards have an etra key between <Alt GR> and <Ctrl> to the right of the space bar.

That acts as a right click on a lot of applications.

Eric10 11:26 09 Aug 2008

You need to select the text first so that the printer knows what to print. I don't know of a way to do this on a webpage without draging with the mouse. Shift+arrow keys doesn't seem to do it.
Once selected you can choose to print the "Selection" from the printer dialogue box.

Carafaraday 11:42 09 Aug 2008

Chris the Ancient - thank you for that - I wondered what that key did - seems to be much the same as shift F10 though so not quite what I was looking for.
Eric10, yes, the problem is selecting really I supppose rather than printing.
Thank you both for replying.

tullie 12:01 09 Aug 2008

Just curious,why dont you want to use the mouse?

Carafaraday 12:03 09 Aug 2008

tullie, - the mouse is a bit erratic - sometimes very slow to respond on the right click - I should probably just replace it - that would be the simple answer.

hastelloy 12:25 09 Aug 2008

Start-control panel-accessability options-mouse. Tick use mouse keys and select the settings you want. Select apply and OK. You can then use the number pad - 8 for up, 4 for left etc. 5 is left click and + is right click. This doesn't disable the mouse so you can still use it as well.

tullie 12:26 09 Aug 2008

Have you had a look in control panel/mouse to see if theres anything in there you can change?

Carafaraday 12:36 09 Aug 2008

marvin42 - Thank you for that - I must be doing something wrong because I still can't select just part of the web page...............

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Artist Helen Friel on designing paper models for everyone to make

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts