Resource Monitor for Windows XP?

prester-john 09:46 01 Sep 2013

I must've clicked a button by mistake for my last question ('Exe Advisor Repair Tool - any experience of it?'), 'cos it says it's resolved. It isn't, so here's a new start from where we had got to:

Windows Vista and 7 have a tool called Resource Monitor which can diagnose constant unwanted disc activity. Windows XP doesn't, not bundled with it, anyway. Where can I get it, or similar, for XP? - preferably free, of course, but not only.

Secret-Squirrel 10:53 01 Sep 2013

John, apologies for not spotting the last reply in your previous thread. It seems I no longer receive any forum notification e-mails since the last PC Advisor "upgrade".

I did a quick Google search and discovered that Process Hacker 2.31 looks like it would be a suitable alternative to the Windows Resource Monitor as it has the ability to display disk activity. I've actually used Process Hacker before and it's a useful tool that can be trusted.

Note: To enable the "Disk" tab I had to go into the "Hacker" menu -> Options -> "General" tab -> tick "Enable Plugins".

Secret-Squirrel 12:07 01 Sep 2013

......I forgot to mention that in the "Disk" section you should click the column-heading buttons to sort the entries so that the most active ones are at the top. That'll make finding the culprits a lot easier.

bumpkin 14:29 01 Sep 2013

Will this info not show in Task Manager/Processes or have I misunderstood as usual.

Secret-Squirrel 21:22 01 Sep 2013

"Will this info not show in Task Manager/Processes"

Task Manager lists details for CPU activity and memory usage/allocation. It doesn't show processes that are using the hard disk so it can't really help the OP discover why the hard drive is constantly busy.

Secret-Squirrel 11:58 02 Sep 2013

John, I was troubleshooting an XP PC this morning and needed to see what the hard disk was doing. I ran Process Hacker and disappointingly the "Disk" tab wasn't present.

I now suspect that it may not be possible to monitor disk activity in Windows XP :(

Apologies if I've wasted anyone's time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough, a non-profit against sexual misconduct

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)